The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what your opinion is on trailer brake controllers. Which ones are the best? and what to look for with them. Just curious about this, might be in need of getting one soon, and want to get something good. thanks for any info.

·
1,052 Posts
I think towing a large trailer a brake controller is necessary. As far as a good one I got mine from U hall store. I think northerntool sell the same one now here.
Bill

·
1,418 Posts
tekonsha prodigy

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
tekonsha prodigy
:whs I Love my prodigy very good controller. def. look for something inertia activated. This means that the harder you hit the pedal the more juice it sends to the brakes..I E more stopping power sooner.

·
Super Moderator
1,777 Posts
Ditto on the Tekonsha Prodigy. I used to run a basic Tekonsha Voyager, but decided to step up into the 21st century!:haha

·
391 Posts
I use the Tekonsha Prodigy, too. I have had a few others but they have never felt as intuitive as the Prodigy. Actually I am getting ready to replace the one in my International because I don't like the one the county put in the truck.

·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, thanks for the info on this, I have never had or used a break controller. Didn't really know which way to go. Had looked at the Max brake, I think it is, and had looked at some just cheap controllers, but I want something good to put in, not a problem.

·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any input on deciding between these two controller???

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
I had the Prodigy in my 2005. I have the P3 in my 2008. They function the same really. The P3 has different color display options and what-not. Performance-wise the Prodigy is a better buy IMO.

·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have been looking at the brake controllers, and I found that through my business I can get Draw Tite controllers. They have one called the Intella stop Extreme electronic brake control. It looks and appears to work identical to the P3. So I guess I am asking what is the difference in these two controllers or are they basicly the same with different names stuck on them? Thanks in advance.

·
cool as december
1,032 Posts
I had the prodigy and loved it but my new truck has the controler built in PM if your interested

·
211 Posts
My Hensley Tru-Control just showed up in the mail today. It is supposed to be the Dalai Lama of controllers, about 100% improvement over the Prodigy.

Woody

·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That controller looks nice, keep posted on if it works good or not.

·
211 Posts
I got to tow the camper from Kansas to central Texas about a week ago, and the brakes didn't work at all.

Found out the connector at the back of the truck had a wire rot away and come loose. I've put a new connector on, but won't be moving the camper again for about two months.

Woody

·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like some of my luck there.

·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I still haven't gotten a brake controller, some more important issues came up and needed the cash instead lol/

1 - 20 of 25 Posts