The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friends truck has been having problems with the brakes on his trailer. its a 2006 F-350 with the factory brake controller. with the truck running battery voltage was at 14.1. at the plug the brake light pin was 14.1 and the brake pin with the controller on 10 and held all the way its only like 13.6. with the trailer plugged in voltage at the wire about 2-3ft back is only like 12.x. all the way back at the brakes its only like 12.7. why is there so much loss all the way back there? is that normal. his main problem is that the braking on BOTH of his trailers sucks. though if i were to pull the flatbed i could lock it up no problem.

Garrett

·
Administrator
12,738 Posts
It's not uncommon to see voltage drop, however without knowing the wire sizes there is no way to tell if it's normal.

Have you checked the voltage compared to your vehicle? With that said, I think it is within normal range.

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, i had my voltmeter hooked to the batter under the hood and we constantly compared the two. im not sure on wire size but i think its 14 or maybe 12G. its whatever came on the trailer. the thing is the braking sucks on both his trailers. a flat bed single car hauler and this fifth wheel.

Garett

·
1,836 Posts
Good size or the brake and ground wires is 19 ga - will feed 3 axles. Don't forget to look at the connections for corrosion.

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont know exact gauge of the wire. all the connections seemed to be fine. no corrosion. the main thing is that it only does it with HIS truck. if i were to hook it up and drive it id be able to lock the tires up no problem.

Garrett

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
try a different trailer on his truck, I know it takes a lot for me to lock up breaks on my flat bed but I can lock the 5ers without thinking about it. I wonder if the ford brake controller is like the prodigy where it takes inertia to lock the brakes?

·
Administrator
12,738 Posts
I wonder if the ford brake controller is like the prodigy where it takes inertia to lock the brakes?
I thought that too, I can't remember if my '05 would lock them up or not at a stand still.

Garrett, will they grab going down the road? I assume not, but figured I'd ask.

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
even if the controller is inertia, if you manually apply the brakes that should lock them up right there. how could it be the trailer? the same flatbed that HE cant lock up his brothers truck or our friends truck can.

wayne, if he is driving down the road and applies them they dont grab anywhere near what they should.

Garrett

·
1,836 Posts
There ls no 19 ga - that should be 10 ga wire.

·
1,836 Posts
Probably the cheapest way is to breakout the blue (brake power) and white (ground) to read the voltage. To check wire size losses read at the fuse block under the hood to compare.

Adding a parallel 12 ga wire from the fuse block to the trailer plug worked for a 3 axle trailer behind a Ford. For older trucks with problems an 8 ga battery wire with a circuit breaker to relays behind the taillight for lights and battery charge and a 10 ga wire for brake power and ground.

·
50 Posts
In my opinion the factory Ford brake controller sucks. Even when it's working right, it sucks. My friend had problems with his and the shop told him they commonly see them go bad after awhile, especially ones that see a lot of use. He had his factory one yanked out and a Prodigy installed. He said if he had known the brakes on his trailers worked that good, he would have swapped the controller out the day he drove the truck off the lot...

·
7 Posts
:help which Prodigy did he install? Is there one that fits in the factory location? Do you use the factory hook ups or do you have to rewire?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts