The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a new hydroboost on out 96 F250. I did the same conversion to our 95 F350 with no problems. I installed everything yesterday and test drove the heck out of it last night. Everything worked great. I drove less then five miles today and started having problems as I idled through a parking lot the brakes began to engage on their on. I got on the road thinking it might clear up but the opposite happened. The grabbed full force and stopped me cold. I opened the hood and power steering fluid is everywhere. There does not appear to be any ruptures and everything is intact. The fluid appeared to blow out of the top of the power steering unit. What should I be looking for and how do I correct it? I have got to get this done today!

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:

Okay, so I brought this on my self. I wanted to use pats I already had on the shelf and they did not work. The rod was too long and it was keeping pressure on my master cylinder once everything got heated up. So, I went ahead and installed a new store bought hydroboost that is intended for my body style. After a good test drive the brakes did not lock up. Now I have the opposite problem… The brakes will not grab like they should and the pedal will not return all the way. I bled the system more than once. SO now what am I to do?

·
274 Posts
if the brake fluid got hot it might have bubbled. Someone was saying that if you have bubbles in the system the ABS module needs to be bled(functioned). This is done either by a ford tech with the ford diagnostic computer, or by activating the ABS a couple times. Go out find some wet grass and try a couple panic stops. Just make sure you have enough room to not run into anything

·
12 Posts
Nitrogen has a good point bout the oil bubbles. If possible wouldn't hurt to bleed the whole system to. I'd check the fire wall n make sure it's not bulged the wrong way due to the brake rod being to long. I've heard that the fire wall can crack around the reservoir for the brakes

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
Nitrogen has a good point bout the oil bubbles. If possible wouldn't hurt to bleed the whole system to. I'd check the fire wall n make sure it's not bulged the wrong way due to the brake rod being to long. I've heard that the fire wall can crack around the reservoir for the brakes
Have seen and repaired many cracked Ford pickup firewalls in their trucks. This however is always from a hydraulic clutch reservoir/master mounting and the rod deflecting the sheet metal upon application of clutch release pressure. There was a "fix" for this from Ford to shore up the fatigue area of the mount, but they offered no compensation for the repair.

·
12 Posts
Another Idea I had today. Not sure if you've upgraded your rubber brake lines yet. I've heard of the lower psi ones rupturing due to pressure. I know the factory brake lines flex a lot more then if a person got some to accommodate the hydroboost system

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
Another Idea I had today. Not sure if you've upgraded your rubber brake lines yet. I've heard of the lower psi ones rupturing due to pressure. I know the factory brake lines flex a lot more then if a person got some to accommodate the hydroboost system
Never seen one ruptured from the symptoms mentioned unless very old or compromised through impact. More than once the flexible lines have swollen on the inside and failed to release the brakes once applied. This was common from mid 1996 to about 2002 model year on Ford products mainly. Again, I've replaced or repaired dozens from this very scenario.

·
12 Posts
I've got a buddy who upgrades to a hydroboost. I forget which one he installed first on his 93 idi f 350 but what I do remember the brake rod was to long so when he pressed the brakes firmly both rear rubber brake lines ruptured n his firewall cracked around the hydroboost unit. I'm not saying this is very commen, I think it's a rare scenario myself. I guess what I'm trying to say is here's a few idea that nights help solve the problem

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is the problem I ran into when I istalled it on my 95 F350. I had to cut a bolt down until I had it right and use it for the rod.

·
76 Posts
did u bleed the hydro unit?....start truck and turn wheels both directions but not to the stops...do this about 5 times...shut truck off...pump brakes until they get hard (your taking pressure off) and repeat again...this may help!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts