The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently when my truck was in the shop getting the radiator fixed, the lens on the driver's side mirror got broken out. It was already cracked pretty well from being hit by a rental RV in Utah, but now it has a big hole in it. Has anyone changed one of these? I can't see any screws or any way to disassemble it.

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
The smooth cover pops off to access the internals. Not sure I've seen just the late mirror glass available anywhere though. If you can get the glass cheap enough to try it, go for it. But I would suggest a look at 1aauto and compare the price of a complete mirror assembly to a replacement glass. 99-07 mirror assemblies are not expensive.

Sent by my right thumb!

·
Old Fart
889 Posts
I did this and getting to old glass out was no big deal. Getting in the new glass was a royal pain. I never did get the drive pins in, so I did not have power adjustment. I ended up getting a new mirror.

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My mirror is fine. It's the turn signal lens on the mirror that was broken. I don't see how it attaches unless there are screws coming in from the inside of the mirror. I hate to go pulling the mirror apart unless I'm sure that I can get to the fasteners when it's finally in pieces.

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dave

As I recall it is glued to the back cover, so you will have to replace the cover. Not hard at all.
Thanks. I just checked Rock Auto and the cover with the lens is 114.00. It's going to have to wait until after Christmas.

·
82 Posts
I broke mine a couple years ago while backing up past a 2 post lift. Forgot to pull the thing back in. I cracked it up pretty good. I found a replacement on ebay pretty cheap to put in. IIRCC I looked around to find a way to get the broken one out with no luck and little patience. I just broke the rest of the old one out and botta bing botta boom I'm in. Thinking it was just in there with a couple plastic clips from the lens itself.

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Indiana Lineman. Amazon has the whole mirror assembly for cheaper than Rock Auto's shell. I also checked LMC Truck and found some really cool looking LED replacements with the smoked lens for $79.

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hate working on anything with plastic tabs. I don't think I've ever worked on something that had them and not broken one of the tabs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts