The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '92 Cummins 5.9 turbo in a BlueBird Bus. The shop cannot replace the alternator and the serpentine belt is off. The shop is 2.5 miles from my home.

Can I safely drive the bus home without the belt?

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
is it non stop? i would think that if you could get it started and take off right away you should be ok if it is non stop. just keep an eye on the coolant temp.

Garrett

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is it non stop? i would think that if you could get it started and take off right away you should be ok if it is non stop. just keep an eye on the coolant temp.

Garrett
Yes. It is non-stop and 1/3 down hill and actually a bit shorter than 2.5 miles. I was thinking I could always pull over and shut down if it got hot. Do you know what is considered a dangerous temp?

·
148 Posts
Just be way carefull of temps. My work truck is a power stroke and the serpentine belt broke and it was less than 3/4 mile before it was time to shut it down.

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
Just be way carefull of temps. My work truck is a power stroke and the serpentine belt broke and it was less than 3/4 mile before it was time to shut it down.
but was your up to temp already?

Garrett

·
148 Posts
I dont remember exactly but the truck had ran for about five min and made it about a block down the road and it was 75 degrees outside. Like speeddemon said 215-220 if you arent close pull over and let it sit a while and cool down.

·
milkin cowboy
182 Posts
if ya were really worried pull the thermostat out it will help some

1 - 8 of 8 Posts