The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
idunnoyet
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone swithed over from bud wheels to Pilot wheels? What do I need to make the swap, can I find parts in a junkyard?

·
1,811 Posts
Has anyone swithed over from bud wheels to Pilot wheels? What do I need to make the swap, can I find parts in a junkyard?
All you need is the hubs and wheels.....bearings are the same.

·
idunnoyet
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So as long as I take the hubs from another of the same brand rear ends I will be ok?

·
1,811 Posts

·
idunnoyet
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great thank you

·
1,081 Posts
I agree with Eric to a point. As long as the weight ratings are close, the bearings should be the same. If you are trying to use a hub from a 52Klb axle on a 38klb axle, the bearings may be different.

The best thing to do is take one of the old hubs/bearings with you when you go to the yard to get the replacement ones. Also check the backspacing for the axle end. My brother ran into that problem when he swapped from stud piloted to hub piloted. His old axles were 3/4" to short. The old axles only meshed into the spider gears 3/4" instead of 1 1/2".

·
2,555 Posts
Have a look at your existing hubs , some times they already have the aligning pads on them, and only require a stud change. the serrated part of the studs is usually the same size.

·
idunnoyet
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not sure of what I'd be lookin for as far as aligning pads, but my truck is an 88 so I doubt they will be there. With that stated, in which ear did pilots become available, or just a basic idea of what year model trucks to look for in the junk yard.

·
2,555 Posts
My 379 is an '88, it came with stud centered budds, but it was changed over to unimounts, the front hubs they just changed the studs, it already had the right front hubs, the rears I am not sure on. but I have an '88 IHC with 8 bolt unimounts on it,

·
34 Posts
Keep us posted on this. My 87 359 is getting switched this winter. Tired of stripping studs and those dumb extended studs out. will our drums have to change being that the hubs are changing???

·
1,081 Posts
Keep us posted on this. My 87 359 is getting switched this winter. Tired of stripping studs and those dumb extended studs out. will our drums have to change being that the hubs are changing???
Yes they will.

·
2,824 Posts
It could go either way depending on what axles it was ordered with, my 88 T600 has factory hub pilot wheels.

I think I will stick with the ball seats, it's nice being able to find replacement wheels almost any where.

·
idunnoyet
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I'm gonna check it out. I don't know when I will get to make the swap but I will be on the look out for a donor truck.

·
idunnoyet
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What exactly do I look for on th hubs? I was looking this weekend I have three rear hubs that have flat spots that look like the rims would ride on like in a pilot setting, one does not have this and looks like it is dependent on the wheel studs to stay centered.

·
1,811 Posts
What exactly do I look for on th hubs? I was looking this weekend I have three rear hubs that have flat spots that look like the rims would ride on like in a pilot setting, one does not have this and looks like it is dependent on the wheel studs to stay centered.
Stud pilot (Budd) hubs will have a smaller diameter stud, usually no more than about 2-2 1/2 inches long. Hub pilot studs are bigger diameter, and usually longer in length.

·
idunnoyet
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry. My question is on how do I determine if my hub can be changed to pilot versus having to change the hub.

·
1,811 Posts
Sorry. My question is on how do I determine if my hub can be changed to pilot versus having to change the hub.
Negative Ghost Rider.....the center of the stud pilot hub is smaller than hub pilot hub. Also the holes for the studs are smaller......

·
2,555 Posts
I don't want to start an arguement here, but some hubs have the same size stud hole, and most 10 hole rear studs has the same size serrated area, some of the later ball seat equipped drive axles have the hub seat pads, stud centered wheels have a larger bore, @8.75", hub pilot are 8.661 bore.

·
1,811 Posts
I don't want to start an arguement here, but some hubs have the same size stud hole, and most 10 hole rear studs has the same size serrated area, some of the later ball seat equipped drive axles have the hub seat pads, stud centered wheels have a larger bore, @8.75", hub pilot are 8.661 bore.
Sorry, and thanks for clearing that up. I tried this on several older KW's in the past, and the hubs were totally different when it came to hub diameter and stud bore. I guess I always had oddball junk....:roflol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a look at your existing hubs , some times they already have the aligning pads on them, and only require a stud change. the serrated part of the studs is usually the same size.
So on this I can just change the studs and run the big 33mm lig nuts?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts