The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running one of the bulletproof oil cooler kits? Just curious cause i'd like to see some pics of it on a truck.

·
525 Posts
Reviewed the design of the cooler.

Issues are,

A) if you mount an external cooler, it can be damaged and you got to watch it.

B) In all but the warmest southern climates, the optional thermostat is a must.

A fair amount of work went into engineering the kit, and maintaining oil at the right temperature (not to hot or cold) is essential.

Too cold oil is just as bad for the motor... as too hot.

·
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm not worried about the oil being too hot or too cold or the cooler getting damaged. It'll be protected very well where i would put it if i was to get one. I've already heard a bunch of guys running it with no issues of oil being too cold or too hot ...just can't remember what diesel forum i read it on. I just want to see pics of it installed on a truck.

·
119 Posts
They had their truck at the NHRDA Diesel Nationals races last week in Ennis. I looked at pretty close because I'm also looking into replacing the oil cooler once I start my EGR delete. They machined a massive block of Al into a fairly nice setup to reroute the oil to a filter located behind the left front bumper. The cooler mountes behind the AC condensing coil toward the top. I spoke to a guy named Andrew Presely. Fairly straight shootin guy IMHO. Call him - I'm sure he can send you pictures. Let me know what you find out. I'm still debating on the updated Ford cooler.

·
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
855 Posts
What I would like to see are some real world numbers with this cooler kit under a load....say under the constant load of a camper hooked up to a truck with this kit on it. I would like to see some numbers.... before and after.

·
855 Posts
Well what can I say, crap happens. This is what happens when you try to work and post at the same time. Guess I have slept a few times since I saw that thread and posted on it.

·
525 Posts

·
6 Posts
I just registered for the site but here is my two cents on the numbers with a Bullet Proof Oil & EGR cooler.
Like many 6.0 owners, I was very apprehensive with the reliability on my 6.0. My truck is my daily driver and we use it to pull a 34 foot triple slide fifth wheel (11,000 lbs). I joke with my dealer that Ford paid them almost as much in warrantee claims that I did when I purchased the truck. Any way after researching the options for my truck; including buying new 6.7 liter, I opted to purchase the Bullet Proof EGR and Oil Cooler in March 2011. I could not be happier. What I noticed in my research was my motor had too much heat. In the winter, I usually needed to turn down the heat within five minutes of starting the truck. Also engine would stay warm for almost an hour after shutting it off.
When pulling the trailer, we usually travel between 73-77mph and 2500 rpms when pulling a hill.
In the summer of 2010, my family took a 5000 mile camping trip (Indy to Rushmore, Yellowstone, & Glacier). Most of the time our rig got 9.25 mpg; however we did have a couple fuel runs were our mpg was only 7. However that was in a headwind driving across Minnesota but driving home we had a tail wind. The highest elevation that we climbed was 9766 outside of Buffalo WY. The temperatures for the most part were cool (70 degree days 45 at nights) .
The first thing I noticed after the upgrade was a change in water temperature. From my home to a set of rail road tracks is 1.5 miles. In the winter, on zero degree morning my water temperature was 101 at this mark. After the upgrade on a 35 degree morning the temperature was only 94 degrees at the same marker. This past summer, we drove 4000 miles from Indy to Nova Scotia. While we did not have the elevation, it was a lot warmer (90-105 degrees). Our fuel MPG increase to 9.75 to 10.25 and the truck was a lot stronger pulling the hills. Instead of being one of the slower vehicles driving up the hills we are now at about the 1/3 mark. There is always a hot rod semi that scream passes you. Without the trailer, my mileage increase 3/4 per gallon and it shifts in to 5 at 46 instead of 52.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts