The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i have a c15 mbn motor and i am looking for a little extra hp. i know a guy that got a 6nz ecm flash and loves it. and that will probably be the route i take.

but i was just looking at the bully dog big rig, and was wondering if they work on the bridge engines. as many power adders arn't compatible due to the high heat issues.

has anyone had this? is it comparable to the ecm flash?
i like the thought of just plugging a tuner in since i would have to get the ecm shipped to alberta since noone does it hear and have to hire a mechanic to put it in.

thanks!

·
4,827 Posts
EGTs are an issue in these engines. I run one. Just using the fuel temp mod, I have to keep an eye on the EGTs. But, it does give a nice shot in power and pick up .3-.4mpg with it to boot. :D

Can shim the spring in the fuel transfer pump as well. Eliminated all my turbo lag. :D Set mine to 102psi on the old pump. Need to shim my new one.

·
631 Posts
Bully Dog and a bridge motor...........this could be interesting. BD uses the factory files and modifies for their uploader. To be able to upload them into the ECM without passwords they need to be based off the MBN files. They'd have to do a lot of modifying to make these run correctly, when it would be easier to do it with a 6NZ or a 7CZ file. If they modified the MBN bridge motor files to work, than it will be very similar to your friends with the 6NZ, but it should have more power. The problem is they need to write out the wastegate controller in the file...........I don't know if they can do this. You'll need to contact BD for this answer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I think I'm just gonna with an ecm swap probably a 6nz 550 tune. Now should I get a turbo or is the stocker good for 550 if I shim it for a little more psi. If not whats good to get? Been lookin at pdi and bully dog turbos!?!

·
26 Posts
Now I don't pretend to be all that smart but I think you need to do cam and injectors also to run a 6nz ecm I could be wrong and I am sure that the gods will let me know if I am.

·
631 Posts
You can do the ECM tuning and leave the stock MBN comonents on the engine. When you get ready to do a rebuild, then I'd at least change the camshaft for a better one.

·
70 Posts
i just rebuilt my mbn to a 6nz (check out my signature). my fuel mileage went from 4.8 to 6.1-6.5 depending my speed. definitely get the 1309710 cam when doing a rebuild but you'll have to get the turbo i have cuz the stocker wont last with this cam. good luck!!:peelout

·
39 Posts
I am a user and big fan of Bully Dog for Acerts . Ive had it on my MXS for over 300k and would not trade it for anything but an MBN is a different animal. no doubt BD could do what you want but you dont need to spend 2800.00 to get huge improvements. look into Mr Haneys 7CZ file . he has made many MBN owners very happy with it. my .02

·
4,827 Posts
Now I don't pretend to be all that smart but I think you need to do cam and injectors also to run a 6nz ecm
If your engine has the same p/n injectors as mine, they have HUGE holes and can flow some fuel. :D Won't be a slouch in fuel delivery and a hotter program. :D

·
4,827 Posts
If you get a better cam, you WILL need a better turbo.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I ended up finding a local guy to sell me a 6nz 550 ecm with trim codes and fls/fts set. With only a 550 should I leave waste gate alone or plug it off totally or shim it for a higher psi? If so what works best? Thanks

·
631 Posts
So I ended up finding a local guy to sell me a 6nz 550 ecm with trim codes and fls/fts set. With only a 550 should I leave waste gate alone or plug it off totally or shim it for a higher psi? If so what works best? Thanks
just plug it off until you decide you want a better turbo

·
28 Posts
Hey jpaddock heres a number to a shop in edmonton its 780 471 3406 it called speacilty truck parts talk to micheal there he will get ya hooked up!! they are a dealer for pdi and bullydog and the are awsome guys!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the help guys I ended up finding a 6nz 550 with 5232 trim codes and fls and fts I think 0,120 truck seems to run way better. Low egts and huge power. Boost gets up to 40 pounds so I hope that's not to much. But it sure sounds cool when the turbo spools up!

·
525 Posts
Yeah,does sound cool but nothing cool about a snapped shaft be very careful coming out of the fuel at that boost level.That turbo wasn`t designed to spin that fast,that`s why it has a wastegate-that much boost from a small turbo is just hot air. Does sound cool tho 4sure

·
2,555 Posts

·
2,555 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts