The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what you guys burn oil at but I think the rate at which I burn oil at is around 1qt every 5,000 Miles.
Is this a little high?

B

·
0 Posts
No! That's not much oil at all on a 8 year old motor with no PCV system. Most of that oil is probably blowed or leaked out instead of being burned anyways.

·
3,514 Posts
That is about how much I go through too, sometimes a little more actually. And mine is all coming out of the vent hose up front.
Sean

B

·
0 Posts
Since your is a early 24v then you do not have a catch bottle like the later 24v trucks. If you look right in front of your injection pump on the radiator side of the timing case you will see a round plastic piece with a hose coming off of it and running down in front of the motor. That is your blow-by tube on the 24v's.

·
706 Posts
mine doesnt use enough to need to add any between changes,the only time i get anything out the blowby is after towing 10000+ lb in OD at 65+ mph in the mountains sustaining 45-55psi of boost for a few minutes at a time.I change mine every 3-6000 miles.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should probably start changing my oil, but I've heard good things about Amsoil so I refuse to change it. Running over 20,000 and still refusing (We'll just see if it lives up to it's hype)

My oil burning factor hasn't changed since I started using Amsoil but I am using a probably the best filter out there. Fleetguard "Microlock" anyone heard of it?

·
1,055 Posts
I got rid of my blow by-bottle and added a long section of hose that goes into the frame behind the cab. No more oil on the front of the motor. Mine really never had a problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts