The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes when I get out of my truck whether it was a short or long trip, i smell burning plastic, I've checked under the hood and underneath, i haven't noticed anything, anyone have any ideas?

·
643 Posts
If I remember from another thread, your truck is new, is`nt it? Well don`t worry you`ll get all kinds of smell once in a while for a few thounsand miles!

·
7 Posts
Pretty common with mine too - the DPF in the exhaust gets really hot and what you describe is what I smell too, especially when I park it in my garage right after a trip.

·
Registered
116 Posts
it will smell like that at times from the new burning off of the dpf after regen . it will eventually get to where you won't notice it .

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, i figured as much, just paranoid is all. Well I'm sitting at about 990 miles! and love the truck so far. Only problem I have is a high oil reading cold and hot, i'm taking it in today during lunch see what the dealership says.

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took it in today during lunch. I forgot to get the damn high idle installed, however they did check the oil and find out it was to high so they adjusted it for me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
my will have a burning smell after running the exhaut brake for a long period or heavily.

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If its warmer out and I'm not pullin I won't have the brake on, and it will still smell just a little, it seems to be gettin better as time goes and miles rack up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello fellow Cummins fans. Just signed up and read about the burning plastic smell. I have it also, 4200 miles so far. I live in New England and have been leaving the Jake on all the time to help with warm up because I have a long drive to work (4mi ha,ha). No problems yet other than the milage, we run 10% kerosene in the winter fuel here so maby things will change but my neighbors 05 DRW crew, M/T, 4:10 gets 17-18 all the time

1 - 11 of 11 Posts