The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thaught some of you would like to see what a gernaded transfer case looked like, so i thaught i would post some pics. not sure exactlly what happened but whatever it was was not good.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah the drive shaft hit the floor board hard enough to throw my knee into the steering wheel and foot off the accelerator. i was hauling a load of bulls to denver for a cattle show and that darn thing decided to come apart at the 242 mile marker in Iowa City so i didnt make it lol. ill let you know what had caused the problem after i get it out of the truck.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
02sprtcumns said:
Must a 2002 year thing mine did it and a friend of mine has done it.
I hope you are wrong too... Geez... I've got a 2002 as well... I'm up to 118K miles without a problem...

Wow! I'm sure must of scary the poo out of you when it exploded! :wow

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Well mine has the rear outshaft seal leaking more than ever and there is a wierd amount of play in the rear driveshaft now at the T-case. And it's driving like a u-joint is out. :shrug:

And this is just as of the last few days too.

Hopefully it's just a u-joint or the carrier bearing, but it really feels like it's from the T-case.

·
259 Posts
I was driving and mine made this god awefull screaming noise then pow but the drive shaft didnt hit the floor board thank god.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
when it came apart the driveshaft ripped out at trans coller return line. the end of the line is still in the trans, but i dont think it will be to hard to pull out.

·
3,514 Posts
Do you have the 241DHD or 241DLD? I noticed your shifter was in the 4 low position, which if you were hauling bulls to denver it shouldn't have been and I'm guessing you didn't put it there. There is a retainer ring that holds the shift collar on the main shaft that controls low range engagement. That ring broke on mine, and I got lucky that it didn't mess anything up and was caught by the internal magnet. However, mine happened at extremely low speed. At high speed I could see a chunk of that retainer ring going and getting itself stuck in the front output shaft gear and binding everything up causing it to break in a hurry.

I'm sorry to hear that happened, and that really sucks. Let us know what it ended up being.
Sean

·
3,514 Posts
Yeah, the DLD were pretty standard from what I've heard. Its the same planetary set up inside, however the HD is equipped with a PTO option. Check you tag or look to see if you have a PTO block off plate. From what I was told the HD only came with the plow package. However I could very well be wrong about that.
Sean

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I have a PTO but I could sware they all do. The regular 241's were behind all the gassers besides the V10's. The Cummins and V10's got the HD's. Are we lost somewhere?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts