The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New 6.4 two weeks ago.
Break-in 500 miles as per manual, not from the dealer who is clueless.
Started towing last week for my lawn care business.
Blue smoke under the hood and eventually pulled into the cab via ventilation.
Diagnosis: gasket for one of the turbo connections.
Next problem-trailer causes rear end to squat. Safety chains are dragging. Load is even on trailer. Guess what. No heavy duty suspension on a Super Duty truck. The salesman at the dealer immediately started pointing fingers at me for not paying attenion to what I needed. However, he and my wife made it very clear that we tow a lot of weight.
I kept the 6.0 engine on my 2004 immaculate with maintenance at the ford dealership. EGR cooler cracks at 65000; water in engine.
I bought Firestone Ride Rites to fix the suspension, but my relationship with Ford is not good. It might have helped if the salesman didn't point fingers at his buyer.

·
Registered
254 Posts
how much is the tounge weight on the trailer.
i assume u have the tow command package...right
are u tyin to tell us my 2008 super duty with the tow package will sag at the rear? when i hook up my rv with wt disb hitch?
do u have a weight distibution hitch??it will sag with out it if the tounge wt is to much. sorry about your leak, hope its fixed quickly.take it to a dealer u can trust. keep us posted. oh btw its not to late to get the ext warentee(mine is for 7 years bumper to bumper and if mine sags with disb hitch they will fix it some how!!

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #85
1,683 Posts
wow sorry about the troubles,but it would help if you filled us in on what exact truck you bought like the specs but I agree your salesmen must have been an idot not to set you up with a truck that would work for your business !!

·
Future Fummins!!
92 Posts
when my buddy bought his 05 F350 to replace his exact same 03, his trailer chains drug the ground with the exact same trailer load and all. he ended up putting bags on it. I hope that they didnt soften them anymore than they already have. it sucks that things get sacrificed for a better ride.

·
Powered By Ford
2,438 Posts
slowkidpsd said:
when my buddy bought his 05 F350 to replace his exact same 03, his trailer chains drug the ground with the exact same trailer load and all. he ended up putting bags on it. I hope that they didnt soften them anymore than they already have. it sucks that things get sacrificed for a better ride.
I agree, my truck will throw you through the ceiling on a small bump but it only sagged 1/2" with 3k lbs of hardwood in the back :sly: a soft ride is for *******, if you want ride qaulity, www.gmc.com is where you belong, lol.

·
Registered
254 Posts
HEY GUYS ITS THE WORRY Wart here, do i really have to worry about this sag with my 26 foot TT ? I hooked it up without the weight disb stuff on it to move it the other day and it was sagging. I have not fully hooked it up and towed with it yet. has anyone hooked up and towed yet with a full load besides smokefree? my tounge weight is 150 lbs (i think) total weight loaded is 6000 lbs-with some stuff in the bed). thanks...i know this is trival, but im still worring about it now that smokefree posted this. Hell, the f-150 will tow 11,000 lbs now with no sag, so im pretty sure im worrying for nothing but still want to see what all have noted so far.

·
62 Posts
you're worrying for nothing QUICK83. I have a gooseneck trailer on mine and it doesnt even set it to level when on. Loaded it puts it to level. About the same as my 07.

·
Registered
254 Posts
holy crap he must have alot of weight in and on that truck!!! wow, i guess for a bussiness you guys have to fill up the bed with gear and THEN tow a whole lot more gear also!! if its not up to task for people like that it is sad...a SUPERDUTY sould handle alot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The problem must be with the 250's. I have an 08 250, and was very disappointed in the amount of sag. I had the 31 contender hooked to it the other day and it looked pitiful. The same boat behing my brothers 2500hd sits just about level. I would guess the tongue weight to be no more that 800 lbs.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
FordRacing200 said:
I agree, my truck will throw you through the ceiling on a small bump but it only sagged 1/2" with 3k lbs of hardwood in the back :sly: a soft ride is for *******, if you want ride qaulity, www.gmc.com is where you belong, lol.
Besides the foul language I had to delete from your post, you should reconsider making remarks like that about people and the brands of trucks they own.

My GMC truck rides soft, but I ain't no *******, my Ford truck rides rough and that doesn't make me any tougher, just sore.

Be cool.

·
Mafia member #6
1,714 Posts
77dubose said:
The problem must be with the 250's. I have an 08 250, and was very disappointed in the amount of sag. I had the 31 contender hooked to it the other day and it looked pitiful. The same boat behing my brothers 2500hd sits just about level. I would guess the tongue weight to be no more that 800 lbs.

1st post huh.. :shrug:

·
Registered
254 Posts
oh no mr.bill :splat now im worried again about the ( . )( . ) saggging front, I mean rear again. I guess ill find out when i hitch up. My 2000 f-150 with tow package road at perfect hight, I can not see me havin a prob with f-250 monster like this, if it sags the springs must be mush.

·
General Contractor
518 Posts
Rutcutter said:
1st post huh.. :shrug:
I love these "The Sky if Falling" First posts. :pointlaugh :popcorn:

·
Mafia member #6
1,714 Posts
Yea its kinda halarious,wonder if he even has a truck to worry about... LOL

·
TDG Mafia Member #25
1,448 Posts
What are your spring codes?
What is the trailer?
How do ya have it loaded?

Even when I have to rent a skid steer for my landscapin' jobs, properly loaded no squat noticed.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
77dubose said:
Huh. First post and your taking shots at the Ford and like the GM Suspension better....troll?:nunu:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The truck I had before was an '04 6.0L. Never squatted. The new '08 is a super duty but the heavy duty suspension is missing. However, it has the towing package, brake controller on the dash and 10 ply tires. The trailer I use is a Haulmark LS 7 X 14'. I have no idea what the tongue weight is. But I never had the problem before. I think the biggest problem I have is with the sales staff. The salesman knew I pulled weight and even bragged that the truck would pull 25,000 pounds over and over again. Ford obviously sneaked that one in. A lesson learned about paying attention to your shopping list especially at the dealership.
Regardless of the idiot at the dealership and my error, too, the airbags are doing the job. $330 at the parts counter. $100 less online.
Sucks having to idle for 3-5 minutes before you power down.
I miss my diesel smoke!!
If the fuel mileage will get better and it lasts, I'll be satisfied. Never had power windows and door locks on my work trucks. I like that. It appears that they come on XL's now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yea, I figured that ya'll were gonna call me a troll. I don't really care. I was just stating what I have noticed with my 08 250 vs my brothers 07 2500hd. There is no question that the rear suspension on my truck is not nearly as stout as my brothers. His also rides comperably to mine, so I don't want to hear that either. You are welcome to come to my house anytime and I will show you what I am talking about.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts