The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
buying a 190k mile'd 1999 DRW 3500, anything i should look for or be leary of? I'm buying it and then making a 14 hour trip back home..... I know little or nothing about the cummings, as i am a PSD man, but this is too good of a deal to pass up so i'm jumping on it

It's automatic, 2wd, has a gooseneck hitch, supposively the guy has ONLY pulled a small horse trailer

·
3,514 Posts
Check to see if it is a 53 block code, they are prone to cracking, not all, but some do. The code can be found on the drivers side of the block just under the injection pump, the numbers are about 1in tall and cast in the block, not stamped. Aside from that, look into when the lift pump was replaced, and also if it had the injection pump replaced.
Sean

·
4,158 Posts
Yeah what he said^^^ and i'd just like to add, it's Cummins Not Cummings theres no G.

·
TDG Mafia Member #21
1,345 Posts
Definately take a fuel pressure gauge with you or see if he has one you can use. A mechanics gauge will work fine. Check to make sure there is fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the injection pump. You don't want to drive 14 hours with no fuel pressure.Another tip, just because you can hear the lift pump running doesn't mean it is making pressure. The only way to tell is to put a gauge on it. One more thing you can do is turn the ignition key on and off three times in a row without actually starting the truck and look in the odometer window. Any codes the truck might have will show there. If it shows a p-done then there are no codes or they have been cleared.

B

·
0 Posts
Good advice above. Definitely check the fuel pressure. Also check the air filter and maybe pull the intake hose off the charger and see if it is dusted or not. Check the coolant for signs of oil residue and see how the motor starts and runs. Of course drive it and make sure everything is what you think it should be.

·
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yesim definately going to check everything out, how are the automatic transmissions on these trucks are they durable? any common problems with them? he also has one thats a manual shift transmission and less miles but i have to invest the extra cash i have on a trailer, im glad my F350 held its valuse so well that i could use the money from it to buy a truck and a trailer again thanks for the advice, of course i will not be able to carry any tools with me on the airplane.... however i was told i could drive it as long as would like before i purchase it to check it out

·
3,514 Posts
Meh, the autos are all right, if you leave them stock. Even stock they tend to go out around 150-200k I know thats a wide window but still they aren't the best transmissions around. If you are going to do any mods to the truck, take that into consideration, You will need a new trans with a better TC/VB which won't be cheap. You could get away with having it rebuilt and save yourself some money, but anything with that many miles on it will start to show some signs of wear here and there.
Sean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts