The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously looking into buying a 97 f-250 7.3l, crew cab, short bed, 2wd, 5 speed.

It has 213k miles, all new front suspension. Runs and drives great and started up when it was down to 5 without being plugged in.

What all should I check? I'm selling my daily driver to buy this.

It has 0 rust and no paint or cosmetic issues. The seller says the oil has been religiously changed every 3k miles and fuel filter changed at the same time, every time. and has proof of this.
The seller said it has a new PCM, Wp, batteries. But believes everything else to be orginal.

Thank you for any and all input.

·
Old Fart
889 Posts
Look carefully at the transmission. It should have been rebuilt by now. All the usual things like U-joints, axles. If it has a manual tranny, does it jump out of gear? How is the clutch? Brakes and the like. Good Luck.

Dave :)

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Throw out bearing is out, I plan on putting a new clutch in it along with flywheel, slave...etc. I'm not as worried about trans or u-joints, I can easily do that, I didn't go to school for diesels, so I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for engine wise

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went to school for gas engines and am ford certified for trans, gas engines...etc. I tried learning as much as I could from the diesel tec I worked with, but I didn't get to learn a whole lot, business started dwendeling, that forced me to quit.

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So there is nothing else I need to look for engine wise? How long it cranks before it will start or anything like that that would suggest injector failure or HPOP going out?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts