The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you suggest?

My wife and I are looking at purchasing a set of ATV's. We live in Colorado and plan to hit the ATV trails often. I know the '06 models are discounted and I'm looking for a good trail riding and hill climbing ATV to purchase within the next month to take advantage of closeout pricing. I grew up riding almost exclusively Honda's (Big Red 3-wheelers to be exact), so I'm not too familiar with some of the others out there.

Please post your recommendations and experiences with some out there. Thanks

·
Mafia member #6
1,714 Posts
Take a look at the kawasaki BF 750i's. I love mine as I have over 1400 miles on it now with no trouble's.

I have to admit that im looking at a yamaha Rhino to go along with the BF,might wanna take a look at them too.

·
1,705 Posts
I'd go over to Gander Mountain in Denver and get an Arctic Cat. They had have $500 rebates on the 06's and seem to be good machines.I was going to buy one but will probably wait another year. We run Honda Foreman 450's and they are tough but not smooth riding. Both have well over 15,000miles. Apparently the Cam Am 800 is pretty cool too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I like the new V-Twin's on the Brute Force Kawasaki line.

The new bombardier atv line is pretty cool too, I got to ride the Renegade and the 800 EFI model lately. Both awesome 4wd quads, the Renegade is my favorite.

But I own a HONDA 400ex, had it for a few years and have no problems. Also had the F12X turbocharged jet ski up till about a few weeks ago. You cannot go wrong with reliability and just solid motors. So if you can get a deal on one of those jump on it like white on rice.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
extream polaris in dacono has always treated me great, i have had many polarises and i like them but after riding a few others my next one will be a bombardia outlander, price is high but 78mph in a utility atv, and something like 69hp i am all about it lol
robert

·
160 Posts
Definately look at the kawis. I've got an '06 brute force 750 and an older '02 prairie 650 and they both have a lot of power. The v-twin motors are awesome.

·
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses so far. I like going off recomendations rather than just shop blindly.

Dieseldonkey, whenever the weather warms up I might take you up on that offer. :woot:

Robert, I've seen your truck and I know you're all about more HP.... from any machine.... :bow:

F

·
0 Posts
I had a Yamaha 400, now I have a Honda Foreman Rubicon (500CC). I love it, but my next will probably be the Brute Force 750, those things are just mean!

·
1,705 Posts
My cousin has a B/F 750. It only has 200miles and it just came out of the shop with a new frame. I got 15,000 out of my Honda frame before I broke it and it gets the $h!t beat out of it. Apparently the B/F is fast as he!! though.

·
473 Posts
Just my two cents! If you want a machine that is bullet proof and built extremely well, go for a honda or a can am! I own 2 polaris's and they suck! Both of them are broke down right now and they only have 1400 miles on them. I own a cabin in Ontario and have an older honda (1994) that I leave up there that has 26000 miles on it and the only thing I have ever had to do is change the oil and brakes! Trust me I ride my bikes hard but take good care of them!

·
32 Posts
Yes, the V-Twins are VERY nice. I have the Kaw. Prairie 700 4X4. Love it. LOST OF POWER. :evil:

Something to keep in mind is the B.F. 750 is heavy, as are most V-Twins. I am looking for a smaller ride for the wife. Our 700 is around 625
lbs. With her aboard it's around...well she'll tell ya. She says it's too heavy. It "Bullies" her around. With me and my 220lbs of pure muscle (and the wife says...Muscle?LOL ) I have better control of the bike.

So something to consider, How much do you all weigh? The Big Bores may be too heavy for Long trail riding for a small person. They have a tendency to go where they want to go with a small person at the controls (I'd say under 165lbs?), and that makes for a long ride/fight.

This is what I am looking/Waiting for in an ATV for the wife:
1. Under 500
lbs
2. At least 450 to 500cc
3. Automatic transmission!
(my wife likes the 700s transmission, as do I)
4. Preferably a Sport Quad.

Also, stay with the Big Name Brands. You will thank yourself later.

Just my 2¢

So good luck and Ride On :Thumbup:

jc

·
Registered
328 Posts
I would recomend Polaris, I had a 500HO and loved it. I put 2000 Verrrrry hard miles on it with only normal wear part replacments. Just purchased a 06 x2 and i am very happy so far.

·
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was going today to take a look at some more ATV's, but I had other things get in the way. Hopefully my wife and I will be able to go this weekend. I'm sure when I'm done looking I'll have more questions. Thanks for the help so far, I appreciate it.

·
411 Posts
If you want the best ride in the buisness then buy a Polaris. I haven't seen anything that rides better than the new Polaris ATV's. The Honda Rincon 680 is close though. If you want all out power go with the Can Am Outlander 800. The Kawi's are good too but I know of 2 guys right now that are having front diff problems with them. They all make some great ATV's these days. The best advise is try to get some seat time before you buy. None of them are perfect, they each fit a certain kind of rider. If you got some friends with quads try to ride them around or find a dealer that will let you do some test drives. Perfect example is a Honda is better suited to a smaller framed rider, where the other are better laid out for bigger riders. Size wise the biggest ones out there are the Arttic Cats. Those things are just massive.

DB

·
Destroked
1,658 Posts
I recommend you find a used one and save yourself a lot of cash. The market is so loaded with used ATV's you can get them for a dime a dozen. I wish I was in the market for one cause there are $7-8,000 four wheelers not even a year old going for $4,500-5,500.

·
Born in the USA
2,651 Posts
I agree with Diesel Dan. I bought one new ATV (a 2004 Yamaha Grizzly) and paid over $7500 for it. I could have bought a used one for about half that if I waited a little. I would check EBay for used ATV's, you can find one on there that has accessories (tires, winch, plow, etc...) for much less that a new one. I have bought and sold 3 ATV's on EBay so far and have not had any problems. I had my Grizzly for 2 years, crashed it into a tree bending the front bumper and rack, and sold it on EBay for $4500 with 460 miles on it. The next one I purchase will definetly be from Ebay. The other day I was looking at Honda Foreman 500's and there was one with a winch, plow, and aftermarket wheels/tires for a little over $5000 and I believe the quad was only 1 or 2 years old. The quad alone goes for over $5000 new without any accessories.

Also, if you are going to finance, be careful on the promotional programs offered by the major companies. When I bought mine, the promo was $89 a month for the first year at 0%, but then the interest rate climbed up to 18.9% or something ridiculous like that. So, if you finance, definetly try to pay it off as soon as possible to avoid these rates. Good luck in your purchase.

·
1,705 Posts
Rutcutter said:
He must have crashed hard to be needing a new frame.. Is he ok?
He just jumped it hard. He's fine. I've jumped mine 3'-4' off the groung and it's very hard on them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts