The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
TDG Mafia #76
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's got it and what are you running?

Would you do it again if you had the choice?

Pricing would be nice as well.

It's for the truck in my signature if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Amsoil offers everything you need just go to their website. I know it filters to a much smaller micron. I haven't got one personnally but have thought about it since I am an amsoil dealer and run it in my personal truck. 2002 F 350

·
411 Posts
An Amsoil bypass filter doesn't require you to use Amsoil oil. I use Shell Rotella 5w-30 syn in my '06 PSD with it's Amsoil bypass filter system. The filter is on it's at least third vehicle.

An Amsoil bypass system will cost $350-$450 or so. I saw prices for the Oilguard system today above $750. Unbelievable.

I put my own bypass system together since I already had the head (given free to me three vehicles ago). 20' of 1/4" SS lines from Summit was about $100 (I used 17' to go to the drivers side frame rail), $175 for the Oilguard oil filler and oil filter billet caps, $5 for a ball valve and about $35 for the bypass filter and couple more $$ for odds and ends. I reused the filter head mount from my '98 Dodge Ram so that didn't cost me anything.

Hope this helps.

Al

·
Lurking
206 Posts
I've got the trusted performance oil/fuel delete which redirects the oil down to the frame where it is filtered by a 10 micron filter then to a full flow 3 micron filter and back into the engine.Im waiting on my airdog II to arrive to do the install....:(
But i've only heard good things about their set up...:thumbsup

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
I run the Amsoil dual remote and it works well. I installed an Amsoil single remote bypass on a friend's 6.0 PSD with a fabbed bracket and it works well. My Chummins will also have a single remote bypass.

FS 2500 seems popular and someone on here just did a group deal.

·
TDG Mafia #76
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'm going to either make my own or not do anything. The price for the FS 2000 is rediculous, and the Amsoil...well, it says Amsoil on it, so it's out too.

Thanks guys!!

·
608 Posts
I am running a fs2500. I can't recall what I paid for it last year during some overstock/group buy with GOS performance, but i want to say with SS hoses it was to my door for around $325. I am still on the first 5,000 miles with it, so we will see what blackstone Labs has to say soon. All in all it was a very easy install with good directions and all the parts I needed included.

·
50 Posts
f2500 would I do it again

I got the fs 2500 for around 400 bucks with SS hoses.
Would I do it again.... No Just change the old more often. Less work and less money.

The fs2500 is a great system.... I just think it would be easier change the oil every 4 k verus every 10k with an oil Ana every 5k.

Use good oil and change it early.

Donovan

·
281 Posts
If you're looking for a cheaper route I'd go with the Fleetguard LF777 bypass set-up. You can get the filter head for less than $100 the filters aren't much more than $20. You can get some 1/4" oil line made up at napa for probably less than $50. I mounted mine right behind my transfer case. I also put a flow control valve on the outlet side of the filter housing because it caused my oil pressure to drop more than I wanted it to because my pump couldn't keep up. I got it set so I run about 50 psi at 2000 rpm with engine warmed up. A fleetguard LF777 is 99% efficient at 30 micron particles and 98% at 10 micron. I'm pretty sure with a rating like that it would get smaller stuff but that's what they say about it. I do 10,000 mile oil changes on dino oil and usually only run like .3% insolubles. Or an easier way yet might to run a Fleetguard Venturi combo filter. For our engines I think they list a LF9027 but I like to run an LF9691 which is for some type of Caterpillar application but fits our engines too ( it's a little longer and wider but not too much ) . The 9691 is probably about a quart larger than the stock filter. The venturi combo filter is full flow and bypass filtration in one filter, they are generally rated at 99% 30 micron and 60% 10 micron. If you check out the fleetguard website they have a bunch of info on it. I run both just because I had the hardware for the seperate bypass before I was using the venturi filter. I wanted to set-up a bypass system on one of our farm tractors and called the fs2500 guys and they were talking like $500-$700 dollars. Forget that, I can figure out how to put another LF777 on that for probably just over $100.

·
1,581 Posts

·
TDG Mafia #76
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I stand corrected on the FS2500 price. Thanks to Bill at dFuser for correcting me...purchase is coming in the near future!!
Why the hate for Amsoil?
No certifications, it's over priced, and I noticed ZERO difference trying it over 20K miles. The engine did not quiet down, I did not gain any fuel mileage, oil analysis results came back nearly identical to regular old Rotella T dino oil (actually, the results favored Rotella by a slight margin) and comparing the two oils side by side the Amsoil to me felt more "scratchy" when smeared between fingers.

I don't really want to turn this into an Amsoil bash fest, because I know it will be locked if so.

If you have no direct connection with Amsoil, please, don't get the thread locked.

·
1,052 Posts
A dual remote for you truck will do fine and you don't have to use Amsoil Our single is a better price and will do the same thing as far as filtration 2 microns absolute.
Bill

·
1,052 Posts
I think I'm going to either make my own or not do anything. The price for the FS 2000 is rediculous, and the Amsoil...well, it says Amsoil on it, so it's out too.

Thanks guys!!
I don't understand the dislike for Amsoil we make a very good product.
Bill

·
1,581 Posts
Why install another filter housing, hoses, etc when Fleetguard makes an all-in-one solution?

I wish they made a Venturi for the 6.0L, why the oil filter is on top of the motor is beyond reason (especially since they put the primary fuel filter in such an easy-to-reach location) :bang

·
1,052 Posts

·
TDG Mafia #76
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the PM...

Double Amsoil and FS2500 are about the same price wise.

I'm NOT switching oils again, so what is the interval recommended for oil changes with the Amsoil bypass with regular old dino oil?

·
1,052 Posts
Got the PM...

Double Amsoil and FS2500 are about the same price wise.

I'm NOT switching oils again, so what is the interval recommended for oil changes with the Amsoil bypass with regular old dino oil?
What oil are you using know? And the dual is actually a remote filter setup go here the mounting to the OEM filter is different now my filter is the older style.

Intervals on other oils is questionable using any synthetic I am guessing but double the oil drain.

Bill

1 - 20 of 29 Posts