The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a rtx-14609b with the oil pump and cooler on it. seems like a great tanny, i am gonna install my wet line, but the cooler is hanging off the back and in the way of a pto with direct mount pump. its gotta come off or be remounted, any ideas. its only gonna be ran for a few months, being its cool this time of year, i thought of bypassing it for now. Whats do ya guys think?

·
2,555 Posts
Do you have a trans temp guage?? the only time my 15 gets warm is pulling long hills. maybe you could run the lines to a filter, that would dissipate some heat.

·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i do have a tranny temp gauge on there that works. i know its got synthetic in it, and yes i thought a filter my be easier to fab up on it somewhere verses the big cooler. i was wondering if anyone has done this..

·
12 Posts
I had an 89 Freightliner with a 13 speed, same setup, cooler mounted off the rear of the trans. Had to take it off to run a pto shaft to the rear. I just ran a short piece of hose from fitting to fitting on the trans so the pump could still circulate the oil. Ran it for 15 years and never had a problem. Sole the truck like that, guy who bought it is now hauling logs out of the woods, 100k loads and he hasn't had any trouble in the 4 years he has been doing it.

George

·
237 Posts
I've been running a RTO14609A for about 12 or 13 years with no pump or cooler, I run 50 wt. synthetic, even tho it is geared just a little higher than your B it has never ran hot.

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
I'd leave it on myself, but mount it to the crossmember rite behind it or verticle to the inside back on the battery box like older KW's and mid 90's Pete's. Cooler temps on everything means longer life. The OD clutch lasts longer, as do the bearings (as in the oil iteself). That goes with everything that makes heat really. Lots of guys try to figure out how to mount one because of this; very few remove them. It does serve a purpose. Just an opinion on this one ;) (and I have seen guys buy an air compressor line, the one with the little round cooling fins all over it, and loom clamp it to the frame. Better than nothing at all and out of the way. Lots of ways to make a cooler)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts