The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I think the oil cooler went out in my "new" C-12. the radiator tank is overflowing with oil. the truck runs fine, has great oil pressure and lots of power. the truck was sitting for the better part of 2 years before I started running it a month ago.

I also think the radiator and/or thermostat must be plugged with oil, b/c after an hour or so it wasn't able to be driven more than 10 miles before it would start to get hot, we let it cool down, run it a few more miles, then after it got about 190 again I decided to have it towed.

the mechanic thinks 95% sure it's the cooler from what I told him over the phone. he said he can pressure check the cooler to see if it's leaking or not. he also said we need to flush out the radiator and change the thermostat.

a new (reman) oil cooler from Cat it just under $1000:damnit I called the junk yard and can get a used one for $250, and they will pressure test it before they sell it to me and warranty it for 30 or 60 days I think he said.

so is there anything else it can possibly be or I need to check? any other advice? I've never had to deal with an oil cooler issue before....

thanks in advance!!

·
3,533 Posts
You definitely do not want any used oil coolers. The oil in most Cats goes to the cooler first then the filter, and they should be replaced if over 10 years old. To much of a chance there is metal that will do progressive damage, and cost you a lot more than just a cooler.

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
You definitely do not want any used oil coolers. The oil in most Cats goes to the cooler first then the filter, and they should be replaced if over 10 years old. To much of a chance there is metal that will do progressive damage, and cost you a lot more than just a cooler.
Now that's a solid post bro!! :whs:whs

·
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, looks like I gotta come up with a grand for a re-man...

·
1,138 Posts
A cooler that has been picked up out of the junk yard can have metal in it like been stated and is just like a time capsul, it will turn the metal loose slowly..Reman from cat was to be had for years but don't know now.

·
3,533 Posts
It is easy to check and confirm it is the cooler, you make up two block off plates, one with a 1/4 npt or both if you want to put in a guage. fill it with solvent, install block off plates, and add 35 lbs air preasure, if there is a leak it will leak.
Just a thought!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts