The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to share this even though this has been covered before on here. I got tired of my old lift bracket not lifting the cylinder head off a 3406 E or C 15 level so I designed and built a new one. If the pictures loaded correctly you can see I put slots in it so you can easily change where the center of gravity is. Did that for example if you are moving a head with the cam in it you would put it in one slot or if you have a head with the turbo still hanging on it you could use a different slot or if your pulling the bare head out of a crate, it lifts out straight and doesn't get caught. I built it out of 1/4" steel. I tilted a head hanging on it as far as I could by myself and it didn't bend or anything so it seems to be tough enough to take some punishment. I do CNC plasma cutting on the side so it wasn't too difficult to get precise cuts. I used a cut down slack adjuster clevis bushing as a spacer between the two side lift eyes.

I'd also like to invite others to share tools and stuff they've built that works well for them. Sometimes buying the factory stuff is just too pricey when you can make something for yourself instead.

Attachments

·
3,533 Posts
I made a lifting bracket for the "B" like the Cat one, when the "E" came out we had a failure on the first one I was in a hurry so I just welded a piece of worn grader blade, about a ft long to the right side, three bolt holes, on the top of it, and bolted a chain across the outer holes That way I can use a grab hook to level it no mater wether I leave the manifold on, cam in or both. I was going to make it pretty with a bar and multiple holes to use a small shackle but it works perfectly as it is. If I leave on the turbo I would use a nylon roap to level it out.
Just a thought!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just wanted to share this even though this has been covered before on here. I got tired of my old lift bracket not lifting the cylinder head off a 3406 E or C 15 level so I designed and built a new one. If the pictures loaded correctly you can see I put slots in it so you can easily change where the center of gravity is. Did that for example if you are moving a head with the cam in it you would put it in one slot or if you have a head with the turbo still hanging on it you could use a different slot or if your pulling the bare head out of a crate, it lifts out straight and doesn't get caught. I built it out of 1/4" steel. I tilted a head hanging on it as far as I could by myself and it didn't bend or anything so it seems to be tough enough to take some punishment. I do CNC plasma cutting on the side so it wasn't too difficult to get precise cuts. I used a cut down slack adjuster clevis bushing as a spacer between the two side lift eyes.

I'd also like to invite others to share tools and stuff they've built that works well for them. Sometimes buying the factory stuff is just too pricey when you can make something for yourself instead.
How much to get one of those bad boys

1 - 4 of 4 Posts