The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
C 15 at work is running hot to the point of alarm. Thermostats were removed and the problem continues. I have recently pulled the diverter solenoid on the WJPC and found the rubber snubber on the end of the plunger had ripped off. After pulling the rubber piece out and using shop air to clean the hole, water began coming up through the hole so I reinstalled the solenoid to not lose all the water. Can the engine be run like this? Is this diverter supposed to open and close and allow water to pass through the cooler? Also I noticed the hose that goes to the fitting behind the oil cooler was soft while the other hoses had pressure. It has water only in it since the oil cooler was replaced and the coolant had oil in it.

·
2,824 Posts
How do you expect the water to stay in the radiator long enough if you don't let the thermostats do their jobs.

Only time the precooler adds heat to the system is when you are working the truck, need to have it tuned to disable the IVAs and then you can completely remove the precooler from the equation.

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
preCOOLER

From what I've read the jacket water pre COOLER solenoid open at 68* and is closed below that temperature. The preCOOLER was installed on these engines due to the amount of heat 2 turbos create. As far as the thermostats go they were removed by someone other than me and I'm going to reinstall them if this pig doesn't overheat. Now back to my original question. Has anyone run an acert like this with the precooler operating all the time?

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JWPC

Finally got to haul a load of canola with the truck since I opened the diverter solenoid valve hole. It's no longer running hot and barely reached 200. Thermostats will go back in and new diverter valve solenoid is on the way.:smile2:

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JWPC

Used the truck to pull Super Bs. 1500 bushels of duram. The truck ran 230 and had very little power compared to the N14s. On return the dipstick was blown completely out of the tube and drivers side of engine was covered in oil. The engine is worn out by the looks of things. We will not be spending any more on this engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 05 KW T800 C15 mxs, replace thermostats replace radiator, and efforts to figure out why the truck was running so cold all the time, come to find out its the diverter completely disintegrated, and I run in Wisconsin and it's getting cold. Would barely get up to 160, unless I was heavy and pulling a long grade, then I'd overheat. Diverter rebuilt and she's running perfect

1 - 6 of 6 Posts