The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone thought maybe sumbody could help a bit , I have a 03 c15 6nz set at 475hp and believe 1650torque. It's good and tight motor was wondering what I can do to make this thing an animal. I would like to max this out with fuel and hp, and want to do it the right way without changing any internals. Don't know where to start and still be in safe zone on the motor, I know she has a lot more to give , any help is appreciated thank you,

·
821 Posts
On any of my 475 cats we could really only go to a 550 1850 without an injector or turbo change, sure you could turn it higher but the turbo or injectors wouldn't support it. I say 550 1850 with no changes to hard parts.

·
2,824 Posts
A turbo isn't really an internal.

His engine would have the same injectors in it as a 600hp 7cz so injectors don't need changed to get by with a 600hp file.

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there any certain flash I need , I've read on here that cat or dealers flash isn't really a noticeable gain due to there low nox file or sumthin, .i don't mind getting a turbo , I just didn't wanna do new crank and pistons and etc, haven't done the fuel mod trick yet , ,

·
533 Posts
Is there any certain flash I need , I've read on here that cat or dealers flash isn't really a noticeable gain due to there low nox file or sumthin, .i don't mind getting a turbo , I just didn't wanna do new crank and pistons and etc, haven't done the fuel mod trick yet , ,
Turbo is a must for any kind of power. Stock turbo barely lives at stock power. Pre-LowNoX file is a good start and since yours is an early 6NZ your ecm should accept the file, or a good stage 1 if you want more power. Stay away from the dealers, they can't change a wiper blade without approval.

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By adding more power will the torque go up as well , this tranny I got is 1650 I beleive , will that put a damper on things , not gonna replace it just for a lil horse. Wallet won't allow it

·
533 Posts
By adding more power will the torque go up as well , this tranny I got is 1650 I beleive , will that put a damper on things , not gonna replace it just for a lil horse. Wallet won't allow it
The only difference between a 1650 and an 1850 is the main drive gear and if it's ever been rebuilt its been updated. There are thousands of hot street trucks running around and rarely do they have HP related transmission issues. There are 800+ hp working trucks around here with junk metric 10spds that don't have issues. Pay to play.

·
3,533 Posts
The tag on the valve cover gives you the max HP available and if you call Cat with the Serial number, and arrangement number they can tell you, or if you go there they will print it out for you.
If you go to the truck dealer of the brand you have they can tell you what was installed, and weather you need to upgrade any other parts to, up the HP. And the engine information, they may or may not charge you to tell you what actual program is actually installed now.

·
533 Posts
The tag on the valve cover gives you the max HP available and if you call Cat with the Serial number, and arrangement number they can tell you, or if you go there they will print it out for you.
If you go to the truck dealer of the brand you have they can tell you what was installed, and weather you need to upgrade any other parts to, up the HP. And the engine information, they may or may not charge you to tell you what actual program is actually installed now.
^^^^^ Former dealer mechanic. This is why going to Cat or dealer to increase HP is a complete waste of time.

ALL of the hard parts are the same on your 6NZ, doesn't matter what HP it came set at. Same block, rods, oilers, pistons, cam, head, injectors ect. The days of the lower HP engines having weaker parts (i.e. aluminum Pistons or single piston oilers) has been gone for a LONG time.

Ignore the magical stickers John likes, name your desired power level and there are plenty of guys that can point you toward what you need. Talking to a dealer shop about performance is like talking John Deere about sports cars.

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for all the input everybody , it gives me a starting point , now to find sumbody that can flash it prolly won't go extreme but 600 hp seems like a good starting point

·
229 Posts
Send a pm to Mr. Haney. He does cat tuning. He knows his stuff from what I've read on the forums here. Usually he chimes in...

·
3,533 Posts
He said he wanted a safe upgrade, those stupid Cat engineers build these engines, with all kinds of different pieces pistons turbo's, and cooling nozzles. But what do they know.
Find out what you have and what the ratings of all the parts are capable of. Then you know, knowledge is a great thing. One thing you can not fix is stupid!

·
2,555 Posts
He said he wanted a safe upgrade, those stupid Cat engineers build these engines, with all kinds of different pieces pistons turbo's, and cooling nozzles. But what do they know.
Find out what you have and what the ratings of all the parts are capable of. Then you know, knowledge is a great thing. One thing you can not fix is stupid!
those stupid engineers go to school with the stupid cab designers that think everybody wants to have their head rubbing on the roof :soapbox

·
533 Posts
lol, good thing for him all the parts on a 6NZ ARE THE SAME!!! Since I guess you must have forgot your glasses I'll post it again.....cam, pistons, rods, head, block, oil nozzles, bearings, rings, injectors are ALL THE SAME. Doesn't matter if he has a 350hp or a 550hp. Your 100% correct about not being able to fix stupid, even retirement doesn't seem to remedy it.

Just a thought

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
lol stellar!!! Can't sleep, PM's full again and boredom sets in so checking in on comedy central forum. I'm impressed to see how some of y'all have hung on, and good to see it's still as comedic. Also noteworthy to see how some... Well, yup, some of these threads new and old just remind me. Threadtstarterdude: PM Haney so he gets an email to check his PM's. $4K for a turnkey 620HP with a huge mileage increase and a but ton of torq. Your driveline doesn't care what's pushing it as long as you don't shock load it. Just drive it like you own it.

·
631 Posts
Before this gets any uglier.........not all 6NZs are created equal. All 435 to 550 Hp engines have the same internals. Not all 435 to550 Hp 6NZs use the same turbo. Some of the earlier engines at the lower Hp ratings have a different turbo. Somewhere after 6NZ33### all 435 to 550 have the same turbo........if I'm remembering correctly.

Now all 6NZs rated lower than 435 Hp are unicorns and have higher compression ratios steel top pistons. They have smaller turbos. They have smaller injectors and a different camshaft. These low Hp 6NZs are not worth the time and effort to turn up above the 375 Hp rating unless they've been rebuilt with the higher Hp rated parts.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts