The Diesel Garage banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
229 Posts
Before this gets any uglier.........not all 6NZs are created equal. All 435 to 550 Hp engines have the same internals. Not all 435 to550 Hp 6NZs use the same turbo. Some of the earlier engines at the lower Hp ratings have a different turbo. Somewhere after 6NZ33### all 435 to 550 have the same turbo........if I'm remembering correctly.

Now all 6NZs rated lower than 435 Hp are unicorns and have higher compression ratios steel top pistons. They have smaller turbos. They have smaller injectors and a different camshaft. These low Hp 6NZs are not worth the time and effort to turn up above the 375 Hp rating unless they've been rebuilt with the higher Hp rated parts.
It's pretty easy to figure out on the forums who knows there stuff and is willing to help. Thanks for sharing the appropriate info. Turbos aren't that expensive and are easy to change.

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
Before this gets any uglier.........not all 6NZs are created equal. All 435 to 550 Hp engines have the same internals. Not all 435 to550 Hp 6NZs use the same turbo. Some of the earlier engines at the lower Hp ratings have a different turbo. Somewhere after 6NZ33### all 435 to 550 have the same turbo........if I'm remembering correctly.

Now all 6NZs rated lower than 435 Hp are unicorns and have higher compression ratios steel top pistons. They have smaller turbos. They have smaller injectors and a different camshaft. These low Hp 6NZs are not worth the time and effort to turn up above the 375 Hp rating unless they've been rebuilt with the higher Hp rated parts.
Hence four grand brother. Turbo, tune, frieght, drive the sht out of it. Hope your getting around better and the Mustang isn't eatin you up. Stay solid yo (BTW does it ever not get ugly anymore?)

·
2,824 Posts
It's pretty easy to figure out on the forums who knows there stuff and is willing to help. Thanks for sharing the appropriate info. Turbos aren't that expensive and are easy to change.
All depends on who you buy the turbo from.

·
2,824 Posts
I don't blame Kurt at all. Doing business with him in exchange for the knowledge he has shared with us in countless post, knowledge that can't be bought, isn't too much to ask.
On the tuning I see it that way, but the turbo can be bought anywhere, and the old version of the stage1 or cat700 I can buy for $1650, so forgive me when I think giving $2100 for the same turbo is a little off.

·
51 Posts
On the tuning I see it that way, but the turbo can be bought anywhere, and the old version of the stage1 or cat700 I can buy for $1650, so forgive me when I think giving $2100 for the same turbo is a little off.
You have done a ton of research on turbos, and know what to buy and where to buy it. 99% reading these forums (myself included) don't have the knowledge to choose the correct turbo that will match a tune or a list of part #'s that build more power. When Kurt post the part #'s laying it out what you need, I don't think he is out of reason to expect those of us receiving that information to do business with him.

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
And once again the Google quarterbacks check in with all encompassing elucidations on why not whatevers. I've built three engines, have five fone numbers and SIS so worship me as I do myself. I'll check in next Christmas and see how things are again

"The more the knowledge, the lesser the ego. The more the ego, the lesser the knowledge." Albert Einstein 1937

·
2,824 Posts
Your one to talk about ego, and I have heard about some of the stuff you built after the fact over multiple phone calls.

Who has five phone numbers?

Who was it that got their panties in a bunch and left over me saying that cat still uses a bearing in a 1900hp V12 that has the same physical dimensions as a narrow bearing from a B model.

·
533 Posts
And once again the Google quarterbacks check in with all encompassing elucidations on why not whatevers. I've built three engines, have five fone numbers and SIS so worship me as I do myself. I'll check in next Christmas and see how things are again

"The more the knowledge, the lesser the ego. The more the ego, the lesser the knowledge." Albert Einstein 1937
You should probably dig around SIS a little more and you might have known an Acert had monotherms instead of finding out on a forum. Sad for someone that claims to be an expert on all things yellow.

·
229 Posts
All depends on who you buy the turbo from.
That is true for sure. Often cheaper isn't better. I also have no problem spending a few more $ on parts from someone if they are giving me advice and provide service after the sale. There is a lot of good information and misinformation by following mr googles links. My time is worth something, if I can cut thru the BS by talking to a real person it's money well spent.

The forums are a good place to share information but remember sometimes you get what you pay for. Negative posts usually don't accomplish much at all. "If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all" it may be tough to do sometimes.

·
2,824 Posts
That is true for sure. Often cheaper isn't better. I also have no problem spending a few more $ on parts from someone if they are giving me advice and provide service after the sale. There is a lot of good information and misinformation by following mr googles links. My time is worth something, if I can cut thru the BS by talking to a real person it's money well spent.

The forums are a good place to share information but remember sometimes you get what you pay for. Negative posts usually don't accomplish much at all. "If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all" it may be tough to do sometimes.
You might want to look at the posts and see which negative comment came first.

You assume that because it is cheaper than it is a lesser quality part, that is not true, it's genuine BW, what information about the turbo might you need after the initial sale, if you bought the proper turbo than there shouldn't need to be any.

Oh, and no turbo information I have came from Google or any other search engine nor any other of my information so you can drop that **** right now.

·
2,557 Posts
Come on kids fight nice.

CR A somewhat local turbo source might be Alamo industries, their main shop is still in Calgary, but last I heard their Guru was working out of their Red Deer location.

·
6 Posts

There is nothing wrong with paying a little extra for something for infomation received, but getting raped is STUPID because someone tells you their turbo is the best. C'mon man $4k for a 620hp tune and turbo that everyone is using. Google CAT 700 it can be bought all day long for $1600 to $1800. Why you pay some forum YOYO a $500 profit? Oh because you read it on a forum so it must be right.

·
229 Posts
I guess I was somewhat misinterpreted on my last post. I was trying to point out that there is merit doing it both ways. There is nothing wrong with someone who is very capable at pulling wrenches buying a part from the retailer with the best price ( I could care less where they got the info to purchase said part). Others may be learning and may need someone to hold their hand.

Smoking cat you usually provide good info and are very helpful. I tried to quote both posts but messed up. I'm not the most tech savvy. If it's the biggest mistake I make today I'm doing good.

Thanks for the info Longhood. I will keep it in mind. I'm not trying to start anything I was trying to get the thread headed in the right direction. My bad, I'll blame the mrs for derailing my train of thought. Point is don't let the pot stirrers get you down and drag you down to their level. No need to name names or comment on who did what when.

I'm still learning and appreciate all comments, it's easy to see who's genuine and who is not. We all have bad days so one bad comment isn't too bad but when they're all negative most of us just tune them out or don't bother reading further.

Clear as Mud?

·
94 Posts
Well I guess the old man will throw in his .02 here. I am no guru, but I am interested in learning as much as possible. Sometimes I ask stupid questions. I do not ask to be a pain where people sit, nor to make peoples head hurt. I ask because I do not know. At times my questions get ignored. I still have the problem. I have called Haney 3X. Once tire kicking, 2X with questions. Have not spent a dime with the man. Both times he got me straightened out on my stupid questions and I learned some more stuff. I have seen people pick his brain on the other forum for weeks and turn around and spend their money elsewhere. Sort of a lack of gratitude in my opinion. As far as calling him a Yoyo after just joining here is kind of jumping the gun. If a person choses to spend their $$ with Haney, I think that is their business. Brian Short owns Admiral Merchants. I am leased there. We work for agents. Brian says if you do not like how a particular agent treats you find another one. Me, I am the type of person that remembers people especially the ones who help me.

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
So..... went to peterbilt yesterday and got print out of cat engine test and it showed 491hp and 1750tq ,,, but when I had the dyno done last summer it only showed 421hp. does it drop off that much from engine to tranny to drive line to tires, that guy pretty muched laughed at me and said I couldn't even go to 550 cuz the tranny was maxed at 1650 all ready , thought that was alil bogus , if the cat test already showed its torqueing above the 1650 limit whats another 100lbs ,got a pm into haney bout what my tune options are , just seeing what you guys thought , gonna do fuel temp harness this afternoon , so we ll see what that does tomorrow if anything,

·
169 Posts
don't be afraid of the trans rating, I have a 1650 torque trans too and have a 600 hp tune on my truck, which people say that produce around 680 hp plus a couple of other things that make more power, have had it for a few years, I race my truck occasionally and never had a problem with it, call Mr Haney tell him what you want and what you do with your truck and trust him.

now after doing the upgrade if something happen, don't blame the extra horse power, there's nothing there that can hurt your tranny if you know how to drive.

I have a friend that did the upgrade two years a go and he's been waiting for something to happen on his truck because of it, but every time I find something new for a little more power he wants it, can't understand some people.

go ahead and get your tuning and you will see that you waited too long.

·
1,811 Posts
I'm still looking for a pre low nox 6nz file.... Jus sayin....
I have a good tuned 600 file with 2* timing I'll let you use real cheap :roflol:

21 - 40 of 54 Posts