The Diesel Garage banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
2,824 Posts
As far as know, there are no low nox files for 6NZ, because when the C-15 was built, CAT already built it to accommodate the new emissions standards from EPA.

Anyone that has more info on this, chime in.
His sarcasm didn't make it through, but he does know that.

·
308 Posts
As a somewhat newer member here, I don't wish to stir the pot any further but I will say I was recently asking similar questions and I too am always wanting to learn as much as possible about my ride. I possess a fairly good mechanical aptitude but lack a lot of the technical information.
This forum is a great source of such info and I've learned a lot from few of you here and obviously been a pain in the *** to one or two from a couple of not so helpful comments I've gotten.
You know who you are.
That said, I too have called Kurt a couple of times and he's always been willing to take the time to explain things in technical detail. I had no problems shipping my ECM off to him. Money well spent. For the tune and the info. Thanks Kurt. It's like a new truck and I appreciate the knowledge you've shared both here and on the phone. I would NEVER trust my truck to CAT dealer!
I've also asked questions on the turbo issue. Started a thread recently on it and gained some good knowledge from more than one of you with differing opinions and made up my own mind from there. I haven't bought one yet but my point is, sometimes what might fit one person's needs isn't always the best for everyone. Doesn't mean one is right and one is wrong.
One doesn't have to read too deep into these forums to see who is always willing to help someone in need. Paid or not. I just want to thank ALL of you that have taken the time to answer my questions. I'm sure I'll have more!

·
Cat Mechanic
24 Posts
I'm still looking for a pre low nox 6nz file.... Jus sayin....
V6 ECM Compatible......what is it?

Maybe someone needs to try to install it in a new 70 pin 6NZ ECM. Why is the 170-9454 file V6 ECM Compatible? The factory file....... not that screwed up modified version.
What file is it? Rating?

I dont have any files above 2008, but i non of my files include 170-9454 file. I just replaced a ECM with a new one last week, i could have tried it on. If another comes along ill try it.

Im fairly new to all this but id like to learn as much as i can. Read a lot of your posts Mr.Haney, and really appreciate you willingness to teach and share your knowledge.

·
19 Posts
So..... went to peterbilt yesterday and got print out of cat engine test and it showed 491hp and 1750tq ,,, but when I had the dyno done last summer it only showed 421hp. does it drop off that much from engine to tranny to drive line to tires, that guy pretty muched laughed at me and said I couldn't even go to 550 cuz the tranny was maxed at 1650 all ready , thought that was alil bogus , if the cat test already showed its torqueing above the 1650 limit whats another 100lbs ,got a pm into haney bout what my tune options are , just seeing what you guys thought , gonna do fuel temp harness this afternoon , so we ll see what that does tomorrow if anything,
As usual your Cat guy is an idiot and doesn't know crap about transmissions. It's how you drive it that determines if it will live. Some guys can break an anvil with a rubber mallet.
His sarcasm didn't make it through, but he does know that.
Sarcasm isn't allowed on the internet, neither is differing opinions if your not in the "Club".

See some posts about pre-lowNox files for 6nz, as most guys know there isn't any HOWEVER if you have an older ECM it will accept a 2WS\1MM file. Some guys like to act like it's secret voodoo magic.

·
631 Posts
What file is it? Rating?

I dont have any files above 2008, but i non of my files include 170-9454 file. I just replaced a ECM with a new one last week, i could have tried it on. If another comes along ill try it.

Im fairly new to all this but id like to learn as much as i can. Read a lot of your posts Mr.Haney, and really appreciate you willingness to teach and share your knowledge.
Any 70 pin file before 215-#### is a V6 ECM compatible file. Any file that starts with 215 or higher isn't. Why is there a difference? Why did Cat make it impossible to use the same Interlock Code flash file in a new ECM that had an original file that started with 177 or 198? It's the same Interlock Code or Personality Module Code, why did Cat make it so the person flashing the file couldn't back date to the older file that was in the original ECM in a new ECM?

The V6 ECM files can range from 335 Hp to 600Hp in the 3406E engines.

·
2,824 Posts
What about a file before the 177 files, would a 160-xxxx be compatible with a new ecm or does it fall under the same locks.

·
631 Posts
What about a file before the 177 files, would a 160-xxxx be compatible with a new ecm or does it fall under the same locks.
To my knowledge Cat never had a 16#-#### file in a 70 pin ECM. Those should be the later of the 40 pin files. The last good files of the 40 pin is 170-####. The 170 file I posted earlier is the earliest of the 70 pin files that I know of and was written for Australian use only.

What everybody should realize is the first 3 digits of a file or part number in Cat system........ dates it. The lower the first 3 digits are, the older it is in the series of the file or part and it will give you an idea of how old it is.........if you've been around a while to see the changes in CAT system. Now this is strictly talking about part numbers or files. When talking about Reman part numbers it is a different story totally, which has no rhyme or reason for the numbers issued, except to CAT.

No file listed in WinFlash as V6 ECM Compatible will flash into any new ECM from CAT

·
2,824 Posts
Just for something to talk about.

·
88 Posts
On another note but somewhat what similar tone.....I have heard that the 70 pin files have more fuel in them ...I wouldn't know but it seems to be correct as most dyno higher numbers with similar parts compared to 40 pins equipped the same....my question is why on the street does the 40 pin accelerate better from the light and is a lot more responsive.....is it that the timing and fueling down low is that much more aggressive than the 70 pin and the 70 pin just fuels more in the higher ranges?

·
Registered
‘03 international 9200
1 Posts
Before this gets any uglier.........not all 6NZs are created equal. All 435 to 550 Hp engines have the same internals. Not all 435 to550 Hp 6NZs use the same turbo. Some of the earlier engines at the lower Hp ratings have a different turbo. Somewhere after 6NZ33### all 435 to 550 have the same turbo........if I'm remembering correctly.

Now all 6NZs rated lower than 435 Hp are unicorns and have higher compression ratios steel top pistons. They have smaller turbos. They have smaller injectors and a different camshaft. These low Hp 6NZs are not worth the time and effort to turn up above the 375 Hp rating unless they've been rebuilt with the higher Hp rated parts.
Mine is 435 with the tag noting 450 max. What would I be looking at to take it to 550?

41 - 54 of 54 Posts