The Diesel Garage banner

C15 won't start without ether

27K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  BlueMule05 
#1 ·
A few weeks ago, it was a cold snap here in southern iowa and our highest mileage '03 columbia with the 6nz C15 (885k) wouldn't turn over. After plugging it in for a few hours and putting a battery charger on it for a while and then having to put new batteries in it, it Still wouldn't barely turn over. So, we got a rebuilt starter for it, put that on, and it cranks really good now but no fire. If we spray it with ether, then it starts and all is well. Before all of this, it would start better in the cold than any of our other 3 6nz's. Now on a cold start on a 30 degree day, you can crank and crank and crank and it won't do nothing, but a small spray of ether and it fires right up and runs with no problem. My dad thinks fuel pump, but i'm not for sure how the system on those C15's works. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!!

#2 ·
The fuel pressure regulator in the filter base is stuck open. There is a fuel line that comes from the back of the cylinder head to the filter base this is the return line. The fitting in the filter base for this line........ if you place your hand on the bottom of the base directly below this line, you'll feel a 1" nut.........this nut is actually the pressure regulator screwed into the base. Replace it

#4 ·
The C15 has a gear driven transfer pump on the front of the engine, bolted to the timing case on the drivers side. Has a few steel lines attached to it.

Held in place with two 12 point headed bolts and sealed to the case with an o-ring. As long as the steel lines loosen easy, it is a simple replacement. :)

#5 ·
If what mr.haney says does not fix it then you might have injector with bad o-rings.

#7 ·
I'll find out hopefully today if it fixes it depending on this darn freezing rain and someone getting to town to the cat drop off box. They said the regulator or as in their computer "valve, check, fuel" is like $24.?? Will let you all know if it fixes it or not. I'll have the part # as soon as I get it also Jfaulkner!

#9 ·
Alright, changed the regulator. Used ether to start it the first time, but then let it sit all day and it fired up faster than it ever has. We'll see how it's first start tomorrow is. Heck, if it still fires up so quick, we might be changing the regulator on our other 3 identical trucks too!

#11 ·
That's what they told us! We called them and said "uh... this valve doesn't look the same. the holes are smaller." We heard " it's an updated design. We change out ALOT of the regulators on the C15's. Usually the first thing to give problems with the fuel system when starting"

#13 ·
I joined this forum just now to say THANK YOU for this thread. Although 12 years old I was researching this exact same problem. My 05 sat for a while and the batteries took a dump. Bought 3 new batteries and the harnesses and she wouldn’t fire without ether.

I took the check valve out, cleaned it with a rag and air compressor and put it back in and my truck fired right up! I had already ordered the part using the part number from this thread so when it comes in I’ll swap it out or keep it in the shop for later use if needed. Amazing what forums have provided!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.