The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
2,824 Posts
There wasnt a marine C16, but the 3406E prefix is 9WR.

If you are hunting for part numbers to the high HP parts they are on here in some older threads, do some research, the guys that spent the time looking through SIS will appreciate it if you try to do it on your own first.

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi smokin cat just looking at the moment i have acess to alot of files so wanna see what other people have done , makes for good conversation

·
2,824 Posts
Oh there is plenty that can be done, and all with factory CAT parts, except for the tuning.

Im sure Mr. Haney will be along in the morning sometime, he has done a lot of trial and error when it come to an electronic CAT, therefore he be the one everone turns to for advice.

·
2,824 Posts
Well I just counted the serial prefixes for the C18 industrial and marine, there are 19 different ones, but only a few are worth looking out. Also there are 3 truck engine listings for that engine as well.

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes he is the man,
oh to have a dyno and the time and money to play with flash files and parts
i guess thats where pdi are at with their hype

·
257 Posts
Also there are 3 truck engine listings for that engine as well.
What's the difference between those 3 engines? We had 630 hp and 700 hp C-18 truck engines, only difference was in program. There is a couple of them tuned to 890 hp by programming only. Stock turbo is Garrett GT55 and I've heard the stock injectors are also very big.

·
2,824 Posts
What's the difference between those 3 engines? We had 630 hp and 700 hp C-18 truck engines, only difference was in program. There is a couple of them tuned to 890 hp by programming only. Stock turbo is Garrett GT55 and I've heard the stock injectors are also very big.
Lenny, I think two of them are very similar to what you have, the third one seems to be built only for oskosh and is 950hp with split manifold twin turbos on it, it uses what everyone considers to be the 1000hp cam and very large injectors, and revs to 2300rpm.

·
631 Posts
The 3406E and C-15 is a 14.6L(890 CI) 137mm(5.4") bore X 165mm(6.5") stroke

The C-16 is a 15.8L(964 CI) 140mm(5.5") bore X 171mm(6.7") stroke

The C-18 is a 18.0L(1100 CI) 145mm(5.71") bore X 183mm(7.2") stroke

The C15 Acert is a 15.2L and uses the small bore of the 14.6L with the longer stroke of the 15.8L

The block design is the same for all these engines........so parts interchange very easily for some interesting hp gains.

The C-18 and C15 Acert use a different style rod with wider rod bearings. The crankshaft will interchange between blocks, because it uses the same main bearings. The liners outside diameter and length are the same for all the engines, but the C-18 uses different O-Rings to seal the liner to the block. So you can make a 3406E 14.6L an 18.0L engine if you wanted to. The heads are basically the same in all of these engines.

Now how do you go about building a monster motor? Buy a C-18 short block and take everything else from a C-15 6NZ and build a motor..........you could also install bigger injectors and cam while building the monster for some really unreasonable amounts of HP.

·
257 Posts
Lenny, I think two of them are very similar to what you have, the third one seems to be built only for oskosh and is 950hp with split manifold twin turbos on it, it uses what everyone considers to be the 1000hp cam and very large injectors, and revs to 2300rpm.
British Army Oshkosh tank transporters used some lower torque 630 hp C-18 for some reason.

I was once thinking what would happen if you flashed some C-15 or C-16 file to C-18 used in Finland? If the injectors are 59s or even bigger it should be quite powerful but I don't know how timing maps would match with C-18. GT 55 is big enough for 1500 hp..

·
2,824 Posts
British Army Oshkosh tank transporters used some lower torque 630 hp C-18 for some reason.

I was once thinking what would happen if you flashed some C-15 or C-16 file to C-18 used in Finland? If the injectors are 59s or even bigger it should be quite powerful but I don't know how timing maps would match with C-18. GT 55 is big enough for 1500 hp..
The injectors are the next step over the 59s. I believe the only vehicle its used in is their airport fire truck,

·
631 Posts

I'm guessing that the timing would be retarded on a the C-18 files compared to the C-16 files this would be due to the longer dwell time the piston stays at TDC compared to the shorter stroke engines.

A stock C-16 file would be a monster in a C-18 with the 1000 hp injectors and camshaft, with the C-18's faster piston speed coming up the bore and the longer dwell time at TDC, would it have the timing advanced too far to survive? I don't know, but it would be a heck of a lot of fun to drive until it went boom.

·
128 Posts
I have a C18 file in my C15 and I can't really feel much of a difference over my 7CZ file. I have 59 Injectors and the 800hp cam

·
2,824 Posts
C18 file has less fuel rack than the 7CZ file
That make sense, bigger cam, bigger injectors, the less fuel the computer has to add to make big power.

·
128 Posts
The file I have is suppose to have some stuff done to it. Whether it actually does or not I cant tell. Its a factory 950hp file

1 - 20 of 22 Posts