The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my 450 Dually (08) developed the dreaded bed plate oil leak. Cab comes off this thurs. for repairs. What else should I have done while they are repairing this?

thanks in advance.

·
215 Posts
If you want head studs and down pipe are way easier with the cab off.

·
1,606 Posts
After going thru this with my 05, if my 09 develops a bedplate leak, down the road it goes!

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
About 14,000 miles. Not a whole lot, but I only use it to tow my 15,000 lb 5th wheel when we go camping.

I asked the manager if we can just extract the head studs and replace with ARP or something stronger. He says it may void warranty and would have to take off the heads, clean the holes and lubricate/grease the holes, apparently not an easy thing to do.....

·
215 Posts
About 14,000 miles. Not a whole lot, but I only use it to tow my 15,000 lb 5th wheel when we go camping.

I asked the manager if we can just extract the head studs and replace with ARP or something stronger. He says it may void warranty and would have to take off the heads, clean the holes and lubricate/grease the holes, apparently not an easy thing to do.....
It will not void the warranty, if you look into the law regarding the installation of aftermarket parts most of the time what is actually under warranty the dealer con'd you into to paying for.

ARP studs will not void the warranty unless they were the direct cause of the failed OEM part. Which can be two sided, as the OEM head bolts will fail before an ARP studs, however if you blow your head gasket with the ARP studs installed you will have a hard time arguing that they were not the cause.

I would have them do it and sleep fine at night. You will have to pay for the work, however cab is off so your just paying for a the hrs to do the job rather than pay for a cab off, again...

You can replace the bolts one at a time however, the dealer is trying to get you to do it the right way, as the other poster suggested.

I would do it the right way.

·
3,533 Posts
If that was my truck and people had a list of things needed to do at 14,000, I would call it my trade in.

·
100 Posts
Hell, I had the bed plate leak at 3500 miles. I wanted a new motor and kept insisting and dealing with Ford. Long story short, anything under 7k will be repaired. Also was told by ford that if a new block was sent, they only change the block. They use all the other components. (Turbos intake... etc)

Never had another problem with the leak after that, two .10 gaskets is the cause.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts