The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyone running as far as cams?

I am looking for some cooler EGT's and some more lowend. As of right now I'm running Mach 4's, a Smarty/Juice stack and a HT 64/14 along with the general intake and exhaust mods. I know to go with a bolt on gear and I don't want anything agressive enough to change out the valve train. Just looking for a good streetable/towable cam to top off this slow old Dodge.

Thanks
DB

·
Registered
82 Posts
I know you have a 24v, but I just had a Haisley street cam installed and really like it. :woot: It helps the responsiveness of the 66 a lot. It helped reduce EGTs anywhere from 100-200*, sometimes more depending on situation. I just got a chance to get on it a little yesterday and noticed a big reduction in smoke at the topend. Don't know about mileage yet, but will the next time I fill up. I think it was worth it, especially for the price. Plus you didn't have to pay extra for the bolt on deal. Now it's time to shoot a little giggle juice at it :evil:
Ryan

·
3,514 Posts
I've heard a lot about Don M's helix cams as well. Personally I wouldn't use anything more aggressive than a helix 2 on the street nor can you, without changing out for fly cut pistons. But I would think a helix 2 cam would do quite well for you. They aren't regrinds they are from blanks, and you can do either press or bolt on end so there are some good options, and it comes with the lobe if you decide to switch to a mechanical lift pump. Thats the route im gonna go when I do a cam down the road.
Sean

·
191 Posts
I just put a Haisley street puller cam in my truck this weekend. I cant get over how much i gained out of it. Before my truck with just bark the tires from 1st to 2nd and a little into 3rd. But now it will roast them from 1st to 2nd and on into 3rd and then a little bark in drive. It pulls hard all the way and really made a difference in the low end. It may sound odd but it sure did change the sound of the engine there seems to be a little less engine noise. Patty Haisley told me that they didnt recomend putting a cam in unless you already had the factory one out. the only reason i did it was because the front housing gasket between the block and housing was leaking out. But it turned out to be leaking around the front head bolt. But i am sure glad i put the cam in. If i would have known that it would have done that much good i would have just done the cam alone. I would go with the haisley street puller cam you cant go wrong with it.

How does the Smarty stack with the Juice w/ attitude. I almost bought on but talked myself out of it.

·
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know about the Helix cams just thought I see if there was anything else out there. I will most likely got with the Helix 2 when I do the job Don's rep is a good one so I know I'll be getting a good product with him.

DB

·
191 Posts
Personally u couldnt pay me to try another cam. The haisley cam i put in is one bad dude.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts