The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad has recently decided to make his duramax a pulling truck. Hes buying a BD power pup tomorrow to put on it (his truck is completely stock with straight exhaust) and getting some nice tires to go on it. I know nothing about duramaxs so what should be next in line for him to look at doing?

·
1,705 Posts
First the Power Pup won't satisfy if he's sled pulling. IMO EFI or a PPE Hot would be best,then a built trans if he has an auto or a SBC clutch if he has a stick,then a 4" or 5" exhaust and a lift pump. I wouldn't worry about an air intake. The don't help a lot IMO.

I have a D-Max that is in the 480-510RWHP range and it will take "most" Dodges I find on the street and it pulls pretty darn good :Thumbup: .

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont want him to get a programmer thats gonna kill his trans though (its an auto)... what would be a good one to go with that is pretty much at the limit

·
Registered
124 Posts
Deffinatly sleeves as others have said. To see why check out the Diesel World Mag, current issue. There is coverage from a pull and on the second page is a d-max with major toe in issues. :deal:

·
Registered
390 Posts
if i could say it stay away from Bully Dog i had it but it about destroyed my tranny and that was only with a 80hp tune but it had terrible shifting if he wants to do it right go with the ppe economy and put it on a 90hp tune and then when he is ready for more power have it upgrade to the ppe hot et 2 and if he is pullin make so he put the gear selecter in 3rd gear and the allison will handle 120 extra hp in the first 3 gears but one thing that is really important they are sevaral ways of doing it that is the IFS,first option and is one i would do regardless what all stuff you have done to the front end is drop the T/Bars all the way down and you can actually that the T/Bar bolts out if you like but then also do this kit http://www.crankitupdiesel.com/driveline.htm and with that done your good up to 800hp,oh and a tranny is a must if he wants any thing over 380rwhp..if you have any more questions feel free to call Kyle Micheals from Crank-it-up-Diesel,he has a truck called Climax witch is one of the hottest runnin duramax's in the states..

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what brand of transmission should we go with?

·
TDG Mafia #86
270 Posts
Teelo said:
i dont want him to get a programmer thats gonna kill his trans though (its an auto)... what would be a good one to go with that is pretty much at the limit
superchips is for stock trucks

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
good news! Just got back from the truck pull and i placed 3rd out of 8. there was one duramax (me) one powerstroke and the rest were cummins. the powerstroke didnt place.

all we had on it was my BD, and suspension blocks

·
38 Posts
here is an answer for can duramax keep up with dodge, at an event in pennslyvannia a street legal duramax took first in street diesel class(there were 40 trucks that entered this class and 118 trucks total at the pull), entered RWYB and took 6th, and ran pro street diesel and took 4th.

·
Registered
390 Posts
that would be Matt Cooper..took the dually to a pull last night and placed 4th out of 20 trucks and that was a open diesel class and the only guys that beat us were runnin bottles and i don't if you all know of this one but the winner was The Big The Bad and The Ugly(12valve CTD with over 1000hp)and then pulled in the open diesel and gass class and took 3rd and 4th was a LBZ and there again the winner was a 700hp bottle runnin CTD and 2nd place was a 600 cubic in" gasser..ya the duramax will hang with the might cummins..

·
Registered
37 Posts
I know this is beyond what you're looking for in your truck, but it seems all the big duramax trucks I see are custom made one-off jobs, not a lot of aftermarket kits or parts. Has anyone tried meeting some of these people and asking them for tips or buying parts of their old setups? Just a thought.

·
Registered
310 Posts
pa_coalminer said:
here is an answer for can duramax keep up with dodge, at an event in pennslyvannia a street legal duramax took first in street diesel class(there were 40 trucks that entered this class and 118 trucks total at the pull), entered RWYB and took 6th, and ran pro street diesel and took 4th.

would that pull you speak of been butler?

i saw a lot of duramax's there runin the laughing gas. its amazing what 1000 rpms will do:Thumbup:

·
Registered
390 Posts
dieselram04.5 said:
I know this is beyond what you're looking for in your truck, but it seems all the big duramax trucks I see are custom made one-off jobs, not a lot of aftermarket kits or parts. Has anyone tried meeting some of these people and asking them for tips or buying parts of their old setups? Just a thought.
give this guy a call he is very helpfull and knows alot about duramax's http://www.crankitupdiesel.com/

·
3,754 Posts
Merchant can build a killer trans, suncoast or transgo. Merchant automotive will be your friend if your wanting to build a pull truck. I would have to agree tie rod sleeves, and efi live are the way to go. YOu may also want to put on a FASS fuel pump system, some of these dmaxes start running out of fuel after 100hp tune, theres a lift pump built into the back of the cp3 pump but sometimes after 100hp tune thats not enough.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why is it you need tie rod sleeves? are the stock tie rods really weak

1 - 20 of 27 Posts