The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I ordered my truck in 2004, I added every suspension option available. I configured my order on the FMC website. I don't remember what the option was, but FMC advised me not to order it unless I was using a snowplow. I ordered it anyway since, at that time, I had some heavy duty towing/hauling requirements. I cannot figure out what the option was by looking at my sticker (attached).

I really still like and want to keep my truck, however I no longer need to tow/haul large loads and I am very tired of the "tank-like" ride. I am wondering if any suspension options (particularly the snowplow one) could be removed to provide a softer ride.

Would appreciate any advice on how,if possible, to soften the ride.

Attachments

·
3,051 Posts
Truck is a 1-ton SRW with leaf springs, one way to soften things up suspension wise is to remove some or replace the leaf springs with lighter duty ones, like maybe put F-250 leaf springs on. Also, tire brands and load ratings differ in ride quality too, and tire pressures can effect wear and ride quality. The 05' yr model superduties and newer, ride better due to the change over to coil spring front suspension. Changing yours over to coil spring front end can be done, but will be very expensive and require aftermarket resources to get it done.

I didn't see anything on the build sheet that stood out as very different in load capacity for suspension. Truck is a shorter wheelbase stiff 1-ton with leaf springs, and unless you load it down with some weight, it will ride very stiff unloaded.

Harry

·
3,533 Posts
I believe ride quality is controled first by the tires, then the shocks, then the springs.
Just a thought!

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
Actually, converting to an '05+ coil spring front axle is not overly difficult, and not excessively expensive if you're looking for a stock height truck. Complete donor sections including the axle can be had for as little as $1000 if you look. The thing is, the ride is only marginally better, and I say this having come from a coil sprung truck to a leaf sprung truck. The significant difference is turning radius. That has been the hardest difference to get used to.

But on a leaf sprung truck, if you're used to everything else about the truck, I have to agree with Harry, maybe upgrade to a set of aftermarket soft ride 2" leveling springs, or find a set of stock springs from an Excursion or an F-250 with a lower GVWR than you currently have.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts