The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a turbo on my truck that has worn the cam pin and slightly distorted the slot in the unison ring. Found that when I pulled it to clean. I can replace the unison ring, but can't seem to locate anywhere to buy that cam pin. My Google-fu is weak. Any links or help you can provide would be much appreciated.

·
3,051 Posts
I tried to clean up and fix my oem turbo way back some years ago, mine the housing was also worn where the unison ring rides on and it would stick. New turbo fixed it.

I also did a search of the parts you are looking for and came up empty too.

You can buy a new turbo like this with free shipping for 824.00, here's a link...
http://www.amazon.com/Turbo-2004-2005-5-6-0L-Ford-Powerstroke/dp/B00J5NQMKU

You can also possibly find a used inexpensive turbo and scavenge the needed parts to make it work, but it's always a risk that all is good.

But a new replacement turbo is the best fix if you can afford it. Time and effort is pretty much a 100% success rate with new.

Harry

·
1,324 Posts
I did a quick search and nothing. You might need to call a turbo shop it must get replaced during a rebuild. If it was mine I would do a little build up with TIG weld and grind/polish to fit new unison ring. Should be someone near you who could do it or if you want to drive south of Lansing PM me.

:wave

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for looking guys. The plan was to buy a new turbo, and then fix this one later as a backup or maybe sell it to recover some of the costs. it will have to wait for a little bit I had to have reconstructive surgery this morning.

·
1,324 Posts
thanks for looking guys. The plan was to buy a new turbo, and then fix this one later as a backup or maybe sell it to recover some of the costs. it will have to wait for a little bit I had to have reconstructive surgery this morning.
Best of luck! Not the fun kind of rebuilds.

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the well wishes, the procedure went well.

However,buying the the pin is a no-go. I sent an inquiry to Garrett, they respond saying the cam pin is not available to purchase, and they don't recommend rebuilding turbos either. No suprise in the idea of a turbo manufacturer poo-pooing rebuilds, but having to scrap an entire turbo for what could be a serviceable component? Seems wasteful to the extreme. I'll do something to get that pin fixed eventually. I'll take some measurements off the new turbo I'm going to have to buy before I install it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts