The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. Ive got a 2000 7.3 and its fan clutch just went bad. I wanna put a electric fan on it prefribly with a toggle switch to turn it on and off. Was wonndering if anyone knew if you can get them for a 7.3 and if you can where and how much?

·
124 Posts
whats wrong with the stock set-up ? It's not hard to replace a clutch fan.. the biggest deal is remembering it is right hand thread and buying the special tool... you could probably rent it ....BUT, If you really want to change to electric I would try Summit Racing...

·
645 Posts
whats wrong with the stock set-up ? It's not hard to replace a clutch fan.. the biggest deal is remembering it is right hand thread and buying the special tool... you could probably rent it ....BUT, If you really want to change to electric I would try Summit Racing...
the stock fan uses a lot of horse power like 35 @ 2500rpm

·
3,306 Posts
Yes you can put electric fans on your truck...flex-a-lite makes a system for it. I actually have a set of 7.3 flex-a-lite fans on my '04 6L...took a little modding to fit, but they work good.

Attachments

·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The main reason is that this truck is used for pulling loads, and it would be nice to beable to turn the fan on before I gets in a hill... And it also pulls a lot of power which hurts fuel mileage.

·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes you can put electric fans on your truck...flex-a-lite makes a system for it. I actually have a set of 7.3 flex-a-lite fans on my '04 6L...took a little modding to fit, but they work good.
Any idea how much cooling power them would have? I Wanna at least match stock at 10k, and what's a price on them...they look pretty nice.

·
3,306 Posts

·
211 Posts
I was looking into this also, then noticed the little caveat on the Summit website.

"Not designed for towing applications over 18,000 combined gross vehicle weight."

Does this fan push as much air as the stock set up?

·
3,306 Posts
I was looking into this also, then noticed the little caveat on the Summit website.

"Not designed for towing applications over 18,000 combined gross vehicle weight."

Does this fan push as much air as the stock set up?

Well put it this way, Shawn ellerton has them on his '03 6L and when he hauled Tyler Sheers truck to the diesel power challange a few years ago from Alberta Canada to Colorado....he had no issues at all. Both trucks are crewcab short box 4x4 trucks with each probably weighing roughly 8K pounds and i'm sure the trailer was at least 6K. So right there the combined weight was roughly 22K lbs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts