The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went outside this morning and started my truck and then about 10 mins later I went out and jumped in it and eveything sounded and looked normal. I pushed on my brake and noticed it was a lil tough to push on but didnt think anything of. I then put it in gear and started to take off and I had no pwr steering or brakes:help . I had to hammer the brake pedal to the ground to get her stopped and then I backed it up and got out and on the ground where the front of my truck was sitting was some pwr steering fluid on the ground. So i shut it off and checked the fluid and it was full. This mean my pwr steering pump or vacuum pump is shot? :shrug: I have never replaced a pwr steering or vacuum pump before is this hard?

·
268 Posts
Ya you have no vaccuum. Im learning about this right now in my class and with the brakes if its hard then your loosing your brake booster. I dont know much about power steering but im guessing that has the same problem with the no vaccuum or pressure to give it the power it needs. ( Also if I am wrong someone correct me )

·
Registered
121 Posts
Actually, Your dodge has hydraulic assisted brakes (hydro boost).
Sounds like it might be a line or the pump. Mine has puked out on cold mornings if it hits the ether and turns over too fast also, so you could just have air in the system.

·
Registered
58 Posts
yeh i just got done putting my dodge back together and the only thing that you would have to take out would be the battery, battholder and the intercooler tube and i think about six bolts not sure

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SuperSonic how do you bled out the air in the system?

·
TDG Mafia Member #45
296 Posts
the system should be self bleeding. turn it all the way one way and hold it a few sec and back to the other side and do the same. it may take a few tries. you hit the relief value when you turn all the way and hold it.. that should get the air out. someone fix me if i'm wrong.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i cant turn my wheel at all though?

·
TDG Mafia Member #45
296 Posts
thats more than just the steering pump out. when i get to the shop tomorrow i look some stuff up on mitchells on demand and see what i can come up with. if i can remember!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
the best way to bleed the system is to jack the front end off the ground and then turn the wheels back and forth , no brakes or power steering would be ur pwr steering pump , if ur truck was a ford and u had no brakes it would be the vacum pump that would be bad , the reason diesel have vac pumps are for either brakes, vac actuated valve like ur a/c controls, emissions stuff , because diesels dont have throttle flaps like gassers to controll air flow plus most diesels are turbo charged ,the flaps help create vacu

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
i think i got that correct:sofa

·
560 Posts
There is a TSB on this...the cold fluid causes the pump to require more effort to move said fluid and it in turn causes the pump to disengage it's drive gear or twist the pump's shaft off.

It requires disassembly...major dissasembly IIRC, to get the pump off.

About the only preventative measure you can do is to drain the OE fluid and replace it with a full synthetic so the fluid doesn't thicken as badly...

I'm surprised every year at this time, because it is always the same symptoms and everyone seems to forget...

steved

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sry i didnt see this till now i have been sick all weekend and had finals today but ya i just replaced my pwr steering pump and it was all good. thought it was the hydro-boost though at first but lucky it was the cheaper one of the two

1 - 15 of 15 Posts