The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a CAT 3116 that the grid heater stays on long after the truck has started. Is this normal? It will go off but it takes a few minutes. It seams to draw the voltage down on the batteries substantially (9.5-10 volts) even while its running. I know that it has a control module but I am not sure exactly how that works. I would like to know what situation tells the module to turn off. Is it looking for oil pressure, water temp, intake temp? I am hoping that someone has experience with this. Thanks.

·
155 Posts
I believe the grid heater module uses coolant temp,and it has a timer built in. The heater will stay on for a few minutes, It is there to help starting and reduce smoke during warmup.i haven't worked on cats in a few years but i think the heater can stay on for up to 5 minutes in extremely cold environments. and yes they will draw voltage down .On our Freightliner m2 trucks with cummins engines,the intake heater will cycle when cold,and you can see voltage fluctuate from 14.3 down to 10.5 volts as soon as the heater shuts off voltage will go back to normal. Bob

1 - 2 of 2 Posts