The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like there's a few old Cat hands on here that may have some info they would be willing to share with me. I have read through lots of posts but haven't found my exact situation......yet. So here it goes.....

I have a 4MG34846 B model that I transplanted into a 359 Pete from a freightshaker. The Pete had an 855 which is of course JWAC. I have good JWAC and housings/lines from another spare 3406 I had, I plan to run the truck as a JWAC until I have time to finish the radiator mods to make it ATAAC. Truck was original 310hp but I rebuilt it with the correct iron changes to 425hp as per Cat TMI data. (I have dealer access)

I have the 15.2:1 CR packs with a 3674 head and 3423 nozzles, also hung a 10r0678 turbo(c-16 truck engine) off of it because I had one sitting in my good used parts archive.

Fuel system has an 18* cam in it with the purple high idle spring and extra washer(thanks to mods section of this site). Timing advance has been rebuilt with new seals, weights, races, and spool.

Getting ready to fire but wondering where I should set the timing at. I have access to the dynamic meter and WILL be using it.

So.....Any suggestions on where to set the timing? I am thinking it will need to be around 24-25* as that's where the earlier JWAC engines were set at.

Hopefully I gave enough details, any input is welcome.

Thanks Guys
MZ

·
168 Posts
Id set it around [email protected] 1000rpm and try it. The older WJAC 7fb's had a 24° pump cam and contrary to what you may or may not have been told the cam itself has a different lobe profile, some think they just had different timing pin locations but thats not so. As far as the turbo goes unless you change the exhaust housing your gonna hate it and its gonna have wicked high egt's and plain isnt gonna spool it for ****.

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks cat attack, I suspected that would be the case with that big ars turbo, any suggestions on what housing I could use? Maybe just end up getting the borg turbo or the OR3051 every one likes so much. I just didnt want to see this turbo I have go to waste.

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
turbo part #

Part number is 214-3734, pretty sure its a Garret. No part number that I can see casted/stamped on the turbine housing only the 1.41 A/r is casted into it, If I run the number in TMI it shows a 215-5666 as the turbine housing number.

Thanks for the help

MZ

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Part number is 214-3734, pretty sure its a Garret. No part number that I can see casted/stamped on the turbine housing only the 1.41 A/r is casted into it, If I run the number in TMI it shows a 215-5666 as the turbine housing number.

Thanks for the help

MZ
Correction. Its a 215-3734, came off an oshkosh snowblower.

·
2,824 Posts
You would likely want to run it as is, what size is current housing? 1.41?

Reactions: Cat Attack
1 - 9 of 9 Posts