The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 99 KW W900 with the cat c12 9NS under the hood. The engine has a full overhaul with less then 80k on it but the previous owner never replaced the turbo. Since it has a non wastegated Pp turbo that has 700,000 on there I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a turbo upgrade such as the BW S400Sx-75 on a C12. I believe it is a bit larger on both sides the the PP and I will have to do some research as to the proper tune but I am looking for some advice if anyone has any...

·
255 Posts
Borg 171702 is a great upgrade on the 12.7 detroit.
Cant see it being any diffrence on a c12.

Maybe a 171701 for the c12. Its got a bit small comp wheel , might work better on the slightly smaller c12

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Swaan! I have heard good things about that particular turbo with the Detroits that's why I thought it might possibly make a good fit for the c12 as well...

·
2,824 Posts
Don't have any experience with a C12, but knowing that there is a 1.15 divided housing for the 96mm turbine in the 171702 it gives you an option should it be too laggy.

Another option might be a 174260, this should be a 75mm turbo with a slightly smaller turbine and a 1.10 wastegated turbine

·
Registered
5 Posts
What did you end up going with? I am a turbo n00b. I have a 410 2KS that I'm looking to do the turbo/manifold/program thing. Looking for efficient power. Running a 10 speed in hilly PA. Will probably get the work and program done at Martin's. Are those 2 turbos mentioned bigger than the Pittsburgh Power?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Forgot to mention on a budget! I see I can get the 171702 on eBay for $500 :surprise: Regarding budget that also means I can't afford to blow it up!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went with the 171702. Truck still isn't on the road yet I decided to do a frame up restoration and it's taking time so I can't give any feedback as to how it work. I need a computer upgrade first before I take it out and really put it through the paces... can anyone put me in touch with Mr. Haney? I havnt had any luck with PMs

·
229 Posts
Pete379SH how did you make out with your turbo on your C12? Buddy runs the same engine and might need to replace his turbo soon. His is a 410 2KS engine as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts