The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Saving members money
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have a Cat C13 (maybe C10/C11/C12 also) that is getting coolant into the oil, I have found a manufacturing defect in a C13 that caused coolant to run down past the cylinder liners even before pressurizing the cooling system. I will post more info, if anybody else has this problem.

·
Saving members money
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am embarrassed. I was completely wrong in my diagnosis of this problem. I should have waited until we got the block into our shop, to publish my diagnosis. It turns out that there was not a problem with the block, but the whole problem, was that the mechanic, unknown to me, was using anti-freeze as an o-ring lubricant. Apparently the o-rings were not sliding into place as they should have, causing them to buckle, as the liners were being installed into the block. He should have been using the Cat recommended "rubber lubricant". The thing that threw me off, and I have no explanation for it, is that the o-rings all buckled on the same side, which pushed all of the leaking liners, the same way. If even one of them would have pushed the opposite way, It would have thrown my "crooked bore theory" out the door. He had had a Cat mechanic examine the problem, and he thought that anti-freeze was a suitable lubricant. "IT IS NOT"!! After closely examining the o-rings that were only installed once, one of them was split halfway through. Because these are flat o-rings, they are much more critical as to what lubricant is used. Sorry for my misleading post.

·
323 Posts
Thanks for the update.
We've all miss diagnosed something,.
Good warning about using the correct lube.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts