The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at a truck that has a Cat 3406A DITA 425 in it and I was wandering if anybody had heard anything about this motor, from the stuff I have heard is was set up completely different from the other A models mainly on the timeing. If anybody has some other info I would like to hear it.

·
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher
1,065 Posts
Meow CAT said:
I have been looking at a truck that has a Cat 3406A DITA 425 in it and I was wandering if anybody had heard anything about this motor, from the stuff I have heard is was set up completely different from the other A models mainly on the timeing. If anybody has some other info I would like to hear it.

I heard about some of it and yes the 3406A is little diffrent than later models

they did come in both PC and DI verison but with instering twist they used jacketwater intercooler sorta of aftercooler if you get the idea

yes the timming is diffrent and the piston and cylinder head is also but rest of bottom end is the same.

for the rest of details it kinda shaky because it been a quite a while senice the last time i ran into 3406A series [ the last one i work on it was a generator primemover unit ]

Merci, Marc

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
There were two models of 06’s after the PC’s (did not make PC’s after the DI’s came to be). 285hp to 380, which had a smaller pump cam and different nozzles, and the 400. Never made an “A” 425hp. [425’s stopped at the fall of the 1693, and picked back up with the 7FB air to air after cooled motors in Oct.‘86]. The 400 had a faster pump cam and 3426 nozzles. The entire engine was the same for all, with 0R2694 pistons and the 0R3673 head. 14.5/1 compression. Crank, block, etc, all the same. Both had 5* slide weight timing advances. They are sturdy motors with good longevity, but drank fuel (4.2mpg +/-). The 400 put down around 460hp with the rack screw out, add a T1810 turbo from a PC and she bumps 500hp...T

·
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher
1,065 Posts
Ynot.,,

Thanks for filling in the infomation with the details i knew it have some oddball parts in there.

Merci, Marc

·
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I am going off of is the serial plate. It is stamped as a 425 and it is in an 81 model truck, I forgot to get the serial number. A guy I talked to locally said they were rare but they did exist, also told me they have an odd arrangement numbers. I will try and get the numbers to shed some more light on the subject.

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
Meow CAT said:
What I am going off of is the serial plate. It is stamped as a 425 and it is in an 81 model truck, I forgot to get the serial number. A guy I talked to locally said they were rare but they did exist, also told me they have an odd arrangement numbers. I will try and get the numbers to shed some more light on the subject.
Cool!!!...T

·
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anybody know what the first year for the B model was.

·
4,827 Posts
Well, the C model was built from '91-'94 (on highway). My uncle's '91 Petes have 425hp mech. 3406B's. So, mid '80's?

·
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just bought another truck, its an 81 Astro with a 400hp 3406B in it, any tips or tricks to some big HP.

·
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No luck just some mysterious heresay. The truck must be newer than the previous owner told me, I am still waiting on the title, but it is a 7FB serial. I plan on doing the pump work and possibly a set of injectors, and putting a T1810 charger off of one of my 1693s on it.

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
Meow CAT said:
No luck just some mysterious heresay. The truck must be newer than the previous owner told me, I am still waiting on the title, but it is a 7FB serial. I plan on doing the pump work and possibly a set of injectors, and putting a T1810 charger off of one of my 1693s on it.
Sounds better now. 7FB’s are B models, so it’s not an A. It’s a repower. If it says 425 and doesn’t have air-to-air, it’s a builder 400 with a cooler. The 3674 nozzles that are stock in that motor are the biggest ones Cat has, so there’s no upgrade unless aftermarket. That 1810 will scream, but requires mods to put it on that motor. The PC A was the only direct bolt on 1810...T

·
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is the OR6051, i think, is that turbo available through Cat or is it hard to find. Another question would the PC exhaust manifold bolt to the B model.

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
Meow CAT said:
Is the OR6051, i think, is that turbo available through Cat or is it hard to find. Another question would the PC exhaust manifold bolt to the B model.
6051's are everywhere. All cat standard manifolds (i.e. non-Ford, etc) are the same from the 3406A PC to the late C's. E's are different, but bolt the same...T

·
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So its not a manifold mounting problem, its going to be a problem making the oiling system work. In your opinion what would be the better charger, the 6051 of the 1810. I guess what I am really asking is which one will move more air.

·
88 Posts
Meow CAT said:
Just bought another truck, its an 81 Astro with a 400hp 3406B in it, any tips or tricks to some big HP.
Well if you want some more HP + a slight better fuel milage, I think all you need to do is like turn 2 screws on the pump. The B model cats were mechanical motors, that would mean the pump is mehanical too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts