The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Topkick bucket truck with a 3116 cat rated at 205 hp, never been turned-up. Don't laugh this engine has 17,500 hrs on it. Before I had it, the head was replaced at 15,000 hrs and then sold. I have records till this 15,000hr mark, the last 2500 hrs I know nothing, only I have put 200 hr on it since I've had it. (2) injectors were replaced shortly before I bought it and I was told buy the mechanic that worked on it that the rack had some wear.The truck only has 144,000 mi on it. Its now missing and needs the other 4 injectors and a new top rack with sycronoization done that will cost $1700 for everything to get it running right. I also figure it has 2,800 pulling hrs down the road with the remainder done at a fast idle running hydrallics.14,700 idling hr plus 2,800 pulling hrs. BIG QUESTION -- am I stuppid to dump $1700 bucks in an engine that could be wore out? What are the max hrs a 3116 can do in light operation? I know many people consider this a trashy motor.

Think she'll run another 5,000 hr if I get it fixed? She's a nice truck, burns some oil, not bad for the hrs.

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
I have a Topkick bucket truck with a 3116 cat rated at 205 hp, never been turned-up. Don't laugh this engine has 17,500 hrs on it. Before I had it, the head was replaced at 15,000 hrs and then sold. I have records till this 15,000hr mark, the last 2500 hrs I know nothing, only I have put 200 hr on it since I've had it. (2) injectors were replaced shortly before I bought it and I was told buy the mechanic that worked on it that the rack had some wear.The truck only has 144,000 mi on it. Its now missing and needs the other 4 injectors and a new top rack with sycronoization done that will cost $1700 for everything to get it running right. I also figure it has 2,800 pulling hrs down the road with the remainder done at a fast idle running hydrallics.14,700 idling hr plus 2,800 pulling hrs. BIG QUESTION -- am I stuppid to dump $1700 bucks in an engine that could be wore out? What are the max hrs a 3116 can do in light operation? I know many people consider this a trashy motor.

Think she'll run another 5,000 hr if I get it fixed? She's a nice truck, burns some oil, not bad for the hrs.
200K tops. If you don't mind adding oil it'll run a while longer. The question is always "is now the rite time monetarily to drop in a new motor, or fix it and run it and save the money for a repower". Either way it's getting four new inj's as it's history if you don't fix them. The cylinders will wash then you're dead on the road. Don't crank it up either. It'll score a hole at that many hours.

Long, hit the paint can!!

·
2,555 Posts
:sprayw

·
123 Posts
Seen one in an older 320 excavator have about 21000 on her before she blew up and that is a hard 21k compared to yours. :whs:whs I have to agree with ynot will make it to 200k or so. That engine is hardly under load running that pto pump.

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A Big THANKS GUYS !!

Thanks for all that info, I'm planning on getting her fixed, I feel mostly comfortable with this old cat for what she s been through. thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts