The Diesel Garage banner

CD player

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  lbdodge24v 
#1 ·
I was thinking about putting a new head unit in my truck just to have a new look in it. But I was wondering what was the best now days? I usually stick with Pioneer just because that is what I have always had in my other trucks, but the main reason this one doesn't have anything new in it is because it has the radio controls on the steering wheel and I really don't want to lose that. So for my next part of this question are there any aftermarket radios out there that can be controlled by the buttons on my steering wheel also? Just wondering, thanks for any help or into on this one.

#2 ·
i would go to a local stereo shop and have them hook ya up

#3 ·
I really wasn't sure if they could hook up the buttons on the steering wheel with a aftermarket radio, had heard once that it could not be done, and was wondering if anyone out there has one that they did work on or have heard of it being done.

#4 ·
the steering wheel button operation can be retained by using a PAC-Audio SWI interface.

crutchfield.com sells the proper SWI interface for your truck, to match to the brand
head unit you choose.

I prefer the pioneer stuff, because of their add on (P-Bus) interface....pick and
choose any combination of up to FOUR devices (that arent already integrated in
the head unit itself).

Ive added HD radio tuner & and Ipod Interface...the unit i purchased already has
bluetooth (cell phone) & audio. I have the DEH-P980BT installed in my truck & love it.

FWIW I paid less than 1/2 the retail price for the P980BT (by haggling w/ some local shops
and doing some homework via ebay to determine REAL pricing).

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Accessories/Audio+Components

#5 ·
In the 90's the Pioneer stuff sucked. Their quality might have changed but I still steer far away. Go with a Alpine. In the dodges there is only one wire to go into. It might try your patients but it shouldn't be too awful to program it.

#6 ·
interesting...cause where the alpine stuff MAY have been good, in the beginning...its
fallen off since...alpine is a company, imo, that trades on a name/quality of long ago

#7 ·
ack. I've owned over a dozen Alpine decks and installed hundreds more. Rarely ever having issues vs. other companies and I've installed other brands. They are clean enough to eat. Pioneers like to skip like **** in parades. I'll never buy anything besides Alpine. Alpine is the only company that allows you to burn MP3's on DVD Data discs for play back.

Everybody likes their own I guess. I like Alpine. Everybody seems like Pioneer. I don't care to argue Pioneer vs. Alpine. I've dealt with it for over a decade.

#8 ·
I went with a Kenwood and it won't skip for nothing even on the roughest washboard roads here in Idaho... I love it...

I also burn my own CD's (MP3 and CDA (CD Audio)) But No I can't burn to DVD but thats fine when a normal CD (700MB) worth is nearly 8 hour of music depending on the MP3 bitrate (128 Bits)

But I do use CD-RW's because when I get tried of that batch of music I just format the disc and start over again... :thumbsup

I need to do the write up on my stereo in my truck I got the page there but it blank...:bang:
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/personal/2002/bombs/kenwood/kenwood.htm

#9 ·
i like alpine too. i had a pioneer once and it was alright but you had to be a rocket scientist just to set the clock. that and it was junk after about a year. ive had many other brands but alpine, in my opinion, is the way to go. in fact i have an old alpine in my little truck (91 s10), i bought it new in 01, ive had it in 5 different vehicles and it still works like a champ!

#11 ·
That pioneer is the same one I was looking at, I just have to decide if I want to spend the money on a radio or performance. Thanks for all the info so far, what kind of experience has anyone had with a motorized screen in dash?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.