The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pulling a 42ft fountain when it first did it, and then a 32ft 5th wheel the second time. But the CEL comes on, but everything runs fine. After a few key cycles it goes off. any ideas?

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does it come on when you are in the throttle hard or pulling grades?
well im usually on the throttle hard while pulling grades..Im not the guy you see in the right lane putting along at 45mph.:D

·
622 Posts
i probally has something to do with rail pressure dropping below limits, when you are asking the engine for lots of fuel, could be signs of a pump not keeping up, PW on the injectors is to wide(I.E. injectors are stayin on to long) your sig does say you have a tuner or chip, if you do tuning could be the cause.

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no, its bone stock except straight pipe and i hacked up the intake some. no tuner. i was thinking it was a rail pressure issue also since it goes away...just not sure how to fix it

·
622 Posts
could be a fuel pressure regulator on the pump going bad or the pump might be getting weak. if your warranty is still good i would take it to the dealer..

sorry i misposted ealier about you having a tuner, i meant that i seen that you do not have anything... sorry

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
When the CEL comes on does the truck downshift automatically or hold a single gear?

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
When the CEL comes on does the truck downshift automatically or hold a single gear?
im thinking that as well Rob, are you losing any power when the light comes on? i would get to a code reader asap so you can let us know what actual code is

Reactions: merlin5577

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nope, everything operates normally. just the light is on

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
What code are you getting?

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i dunno how to check the codes without a computer.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
If you have an autozone near you they will check the codes and tell you the problem for free.

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sweet! I'll look into that. Im heading to ausin for the weekend so i'll have to check it when i get back:thumbsup

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
Keep up posted on what you find out :thumbsup

·
236 Posts
If you have an autozone near you they will check the codes and tell you the problem for free.
correction,, they'll read and tell you what the code is, but can't really say what the problems is although they'll probably guess what the problem is for you.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
Don't worry about it. You said straight pipe, and under load. My dually does the same thing. The light is tripped with a "EGR Low Flow", or something like that. Just keep on keepin' on. Mine does it almost everytime I have a load on.
Mine keeps saying "egr insufficient flow" but i think i think ive narrowed it down... there seems to be some sort of plate thats blocking off the egr cooler.. LOL LOL LOL

i would suggest picking up a cheap code reader, that way you can diagnose some smaller problems without taking it to a Stealer and having them charge you $50 to check a stupid code!!!!!!

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
correction,, they'll read and tell you what the code is, but can't really say what the problems is although they'll probably guess what the problem is for you.
Oh, well excuse me! :haha :haha :haha

:happymugs

·
236 Posts
not attacking,,, just trhowing that out there. Youd be amazed how many people come to the shop after throwing the "autozone recommended" parts at the problem they had checked out there. Crazy! Code just gives you a starting point basically.

Thanks for the beers though!!:thumbsup:happymugs

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
not attacking,,, just trhowing that out there. Youd be amazed how many people come to the shop after throwing the "autozone recommended" parts at the problem they had checked out there. Crazy! Code just gives you a starting point basically.

Thanks for the beers though!!:thumbsup:happymugs
Oh I agree, you are right. I mistyped my first post. The code just points you in the right direction. Autozone people are hit or miss, some know there stuff, most do not.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts