The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard the lever style chain binders are now illegal for use on truck and trailers. Anyone else heard this, not sure if it’s state or federal.

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
Wow, I have not heard anything about that either. I use mine all the time as well. Only thing I do is put a pin in the lever to the chain so it wont pop back open going down the road.......

:bubbakevin:bubba

·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can’t seem to find anything on the net. Maybe it’s just a rumor but I have noticed I have not seen any lever binders for sale that advertise DOT approved like chain.

I guess no one here has ever had DOT say anything?

·
Hadley Coal Roller
819 Posts
we used to use them all the time when we had our constructon business. they work great idk why theyd outlaw them

·
467 Posts
Here in CA you have to have the newer style that have the nub on the end of the handle so the bar doesn't slip off. other than that ???

·
26 tires rolling
929 Posts
I have several ratchet binders somewhere. Im pretty sure their rusted solid. Im in CA and have lever chain binders with the same WLL of 5/8 grade 80 chain and never been hassled about it.

Their perfectly legal as long as their is a WLL (Working Load Limit) on them and you can prove your securement meets the min dot standards.

I Hate ratchet chain binders.

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
I have several ratchet binders somewhere. Im pretty sure their rusted solid. Im in CA and have lever chain binders with the same WLL of 5/8 grade 80 chain and never been hassled about it.

Their perfectly legal as long as their is a WLL (Working Load Limit) on them and you can prove your securement meets the min dot standards.

I Hate ratchet chain binders.
ratchet binders can be cool sometimes, but i normally find that i get the binder fully sucked in and its not tight enough. so then i have to undo it and move up a link or two. :damnit

Garrett

·
TDG Mafia #76
2,542 Posts
I despise ratchet binders as well...won't ever use anything but the lever style. Wrap the slack chain around the handle a couple times and you're fine. Never had one come undone.

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
I despise ratchet binders as well...won't ever use anything but the lever style. Wrap the slack chain around the handle a couple times and you're fine. Never had one come undone.
exactly. i dont know why but i have ALWAYS done that. whether it be the pull straps for my dirtbike or the axle straps on the rock crawler or the 1K lb gang box in my bed.

Garrettt

·
4,827 Posts
How does that work?

A 1/2 lever binder has about 5 inches of take up and a 1/2 rachet has about 8?
Probably because of the quick take up on the slack, or to readjust to a different link.

Wrap the slack chain around the handle a couple times and you're fine. Never had one come undone.
That is what I've always done myself. No worries that way. :)

·
26 tires rolling
929 Posts
Takes like 5 seconds to re adjust a lever binder and takes ALOT longer to completely spin out a ratchet binder and re tighten it.

I HAVE however started to replace my standard lever binders with the safety release binders.

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts

·
4,024 Posts
Snap binders are ok when you have a load that has a little "give" like a rubber tired machine, but are a real pain compared to the screw type when you move dozers and excavators all day. I've gotten used to the screw type and they are alot easier on the chin. LOL

·
411 Posts
Snap binders are ok when you have a load that has a little "give" like a rubber tired machine, but are a real pain compared to the screw type when you move dozers and excavators all day. I've gotten used to the screw type and they are alot easier on the chin. LOL
I'm also a fan of the rachet binders, although I can see where if you're doing binders all day long, lever binders would look pretty good after a while.

I like how I can tighten my RBs an easy turn or two during stops to ensure my load stays secure (usually a Toyota 4runner.

And, as you can see from the pic below, I don't take chances with the Toy coming loose on the highway.

Al

·
26 tires rolling
929 Posts
Really cuz thats what i do. well when their was work :haha.

even on the rubber tired machines i use the lever binders. but i do keep a "special" load bar for some extra tension.

now do you secure to the undercarriage or the tracks on excavators?

·
4,024 Posts
Most of the ones i moved were overwidth. We would bind to the tracks if going across town. or cross bind with chains if we would get to the highway.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts