The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not know much about chainsaws and I am now tasked with repairing one.

Back story: a pine tree fell over in my yard and a friend loaned me a Stihl 039 that was beat down. It ran well if you stayed on the throttle but needed a lot of work. I was able to de-limb the tree before the saw just stopped cutting. The air filter had holes in it, the chain is dull, and it leaked the bar oil out when it sat over night. I have since adjusted the oil screw, cleaned it up, installed a new air filter, sprayed out the carb. Next time I go into town (if I remember this time) I will pick up a file for sharpening the chain.

Now here is the problem. I pulled the spark plug and it looked new, so I reinstalled it. When I had it all put back together I tried to pull start it. Instead it hung up and I was not able to get a full pull out of it. I checked everything I could think of and nothing appeared to be wrong. So I pulled the spark plug and it turned over fine. Even with the plug removed it sounds like it has great compression. I have a lot of experience with two stroke ATV engines but no these small equipment engines. When I reinstalled the spark plus, the same problem again. That spark plug is the same one it was running on before. Why now would it prevent the engine from turning over?

·
1,324 Posts

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Does this saw have a Decompression Lever? If so I would check that. :stupid:

Im a Husqvarna guy myself.

·
1,324 Posts
It is locate between the handle and the brake on right side of the saw when holding it.

·
1,324 Posts

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts

·
1,324 Posts

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Any updates?

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took it to a chainsaw guru frined of mine. He found a problem with the magneto, but cannot explain why it is hard to turn over all of a sudden. He claims it will run fine once it is started.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts