The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I changed from the stock fuel filter and housing, to an inline resuable racing fuel ffilter on my 88 n/a 7.3

When I did I got white smoke, even at iddle and when reving.

So I swapped back to complete stock set up and filter. Still white smoke now! It hasn't stopped. I've put 20 miles on the truck, and white smoke.

What gives!!! ????

·
4,827 Posts
Air leak probably.

·
51 Posts
Where would there be an air leak? I've kinda been having the same problems but only changed the stock filter, running rough and blowing some white smoke, stuttering and surging, Posted in a couple threads below, replaced lift pump and threw in a set of reman injectors which made it run smoother but can still feel a miss when driving down the hiway. White smoke is less but still smells rich and see some white smoke on startup.
Was gonna throw a rebuilt injector pump in but figured I'd better check some more things out before that. Did comp. check and cyls. were all from 330-375 psi. Not loosing antifreeze so rear right side cylinder electrolysis problem seems to be staying out of pic.
Not trying to hijack your thread, hoping to get more ideas on where to look.:)

·
20 Posts
Did you guys try bleeding the fuel lines you might have air in the system. First bleed the filter before and after lines making sure the supply is there with no air bubbles. Then crack your injector lines at the injector while truck is running and let the fuel bleed out any air. Cracking them at the injector is the highest point which air seems to abide on a diesel eng and this will get out any air trapped in your system.

Im having a little blue-ish, white-ish haze not really a smoke... myself, and it burns your eyes when standing by the exhaust but I think my problem is injectors. Smells like raw unburned fuel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts