The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mafia Member #93
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ICP sensor was clearly bad as it had oil IN the plug... so i replaced it... the sensor isnt new but looks good... came out of a 97 motor IH motor (not ford)....

i put the sensor in and turned on the key... my scan gauge red the same reading it read when i had the sensor unplugged, 65,4xx.... then as i hit the key it read like it should... truck fired right up and seemed to run even better than normal...but it read between 475 and 560 for ICP..... about 2 minutes or so of idling it stumbled and ALMOST died then ran like a race car (with a BIG cam in it... real rumbly) and the ICP started readin normalish... the go peddle is SUPER touchy too... you just touch it and it revs up to like 2K....

and the tricker... you shut the truck off then restart it and it runs fine for a few minutes then starts the race car sound again.... also every time i shut it off and restarted it, the ICP, BEFORE is ran bad, would read more and more normal....

i might just put the old sensor back in till i can figure this out cause i need the truck in the mornin....

Anyway, if anyone can make sense of all that, i would MUCH appreciate some help... thanks

EDIT: and codes are P1280, P1690, and P1000

·
Mafia Member #93
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
went a drove it HARD... no more touchy peddle... it hickups once and a while at WOT like theres air in the system... but when you come to a stop it still sounds like a big cam gasser...

after a hard run, when i come to a stop, it idles up at about 800-900 RPM with the ICP right about 750-850..... slide it in neutral and it rumbles slowly evens it self out but the ICP stays at 750-850.... but when i come home (its park on a slight slope) it even out the idle like it does sittin in a parking lot after a hard run... just rumbles till i shut it off...

also noticed that when i restart it, the idle ICP is about 725-800 and SLOWLY comes down to 525ish-650 where it starts stumblin again.... oh and the idle DC is 12.3%

oh and heres a vid from right after i changed the sensor....

maybe the IPR now???? maybe the bad ICP sensor was "masking" a bad IPR????

sorry if all thats confusing... just tryin to get all the info i have gathered on here...

thanks

·
2,509 Posts
try unplugging the sencor compleetly and see how it runs.
it soulds like you may be getting some false readings and the ecm it strying to compensate when it shouldn't be.

all the oil may have messed up the connector and be causeing the issue.

·
8,265 Posts
My first thought would be to replace it with a known "good" working sensor. You say the sensor looks good...but isn't new. That doesn't mean something isn't flaky with it. I would find a buddy that would be willing to let you swap out his known good sensor...and see what happens.

·
Mafia Member #93
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im gonna unplug the sensor in the mornin and see how she does... pretty sure its the IPR though.... got another one to try... i'll keep this updated

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
Very curious to see what you find as I have a shop truck with very similar symptoms.

Replaced IPR and ICP sensors with new ones and it doesn't cure the issue.

Replaced the HPOP about a year ago.

It always idles roughly with ICP between 485-525 and codes show nothing related.

prt

·
8,265 Posts
how...and what???

·
Mafia Member #93
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the IPR.... didnt have to change them..... but when i went to change mine out i realized it wasnt really tight at all... (the IPR itself not the sheet metal nut on the back)... i never saw any oil dripping in or out of the valley but the IPR was COVERED.... so i tightened my original IPR up, threw the solenoid back on, and she runs like a top now :D

·
Mafia Member #93
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
now if you guys could tell me exactly why that would make it do what it was doing??? i have a "common sense idea" of why but i dont know....

·
8,265 Posts
I would guess that if the IPR was slightly loose...it wasn't building up the pressure that was needed.

·
2,509 Posts
I bet it was leaking past the o-rings internally. you still may want to pull it out and replace them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts