The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Get Rocked!
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you guys would use existing truck equipement/body and transfer it to a new chassis?

Just a simple question out of curiosity.

We are in the process of changing over one of our older med-duty chassis to an '06 F-650 and we are using our existing truck equipement from an older chassis.
Basically we are transferring the flat bed (iron) and plow unit over from our '87 F-700 to the new chassis. We have done this before in the past with no repercussions.

Bottom line, "paint will make it what it ain't". The body and plow are still very solid and wouldn't take much to spruce up. Plus, we paint the body, tanks, plow frame, and any other accessaries that a given truck has on a yearly basis just to keep the appearance looking decent. It keeps our guy's busy when work is slow. Something to do.

I'm just curious to see how many others out there do the same. I have seen several locals lately do this.

Jake.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
I only did it once. I switched the dump off my F-700 to my IH1700 back in the late 80's.

I never really see too many truck bodies outlast the chassis unless they're driven high miles every day or the body is aluminum, tree spade, something expensive.

You must take great care of your trucks!

I think the only repercussions I can think of would be if any state work/occupational safety requirements changed since your truck was first put in service: For example, a boom truck now must have a different set of safety equipment than it did when you bought yours. Safety requirements may mandate that an once a new truck is put into service, it must have new safety equipment on the secondary body unit as well as the new chassis. Old body's may have to be cut-up since they don't have new safety equipment???

I'd doubt it, but it's worth checking into.

The only other thing I can think of would be common sense stuff like replacing old U-bolts with new ones, etc.

·
130 Posts
I've done it on occasion with farm trucks, but usually it was a truck that got wrecked or other major (I got the end-dump grain boxes off about 3 C-70's in a row that died of electrical fires in front of the auger, with the hoists up - weird). I never really saw anything wrong with it, for the most part the beds I deal with are pretty repairable and don't normally "wear out", just get beat up over time. more often than not, I "stepped up" when I changed the bed, going from something like a gasser tag tandem to something more like an ex-OTR class 8. Made a little money at it along the line, too.

Buyer beware, though - I sold a '76 LNT-9000 that was pretty badly rusted out cab-wise and had a broken crank last winter. It also had a really nice aluminum grain body and recent rear brakes and suspension. The guy gave me more than I thought it was worth, so I let it go. A couple months later appears an ad in the paper for a '90 Aeromax with a grain box. I drove by it later on, and he'd spliced the back half of my truck to the front half of a pretty nice single-axle Aeromax he'd bought cheap at an auction. All in all, it turned out really nice, but he'd hidden the splice so well under the hoist hinge and behind a pusher axle plate most people would probably overlook it. :pissed:

·
Get Rocked!
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, We are in the process of changing over the equipement from our '87 F-700 to the new '06 F-650. Not too complicated. The bed will be a quick swap. As for the plow rig, it will take some time between the re-welding of the head gear configuration as well as the wiring work and new lighting that the dealer will supply.

We did the same conversion with our '03 F-650, (equipement transfer from our '84 F-700), and had no repercussions from it. It made sense repeating the action. The $$$ saved from doing the conversion is approx $8,000.00 per truck.

As for the class 8/9 trucks, that's a different story. It wouldn't really pan out transferring the old drywall booms over to a new chassis. Now a days the machines are much larger and reach much higher than what we have now. Thar

Jake

·
General Contractor
518 Posts
The way I look at is if the body is in good shape and you have the means of swaping bodies then I would do it. I think it makes sense to save $8k if all the old still preforms like new.

·
Registered
368 Posts
:agreed:

Do it all the time, in fact doing it this week.

But my trucks average about 100,00 miles a year, and all but one have aluminum beds....... so they normally out live two trucks or better.

Salt does more damage to the trucks than anything.

Build some moster jack stands - they really help. I'm sure some type of hoist would work better, but all I have is a forklift.:grd

·
MD Newbie
96 Posts
What about flatbed wrecker/rollback bodies? I troll the yards occasionally and I never see used ones- they must keep moving those bodies onto new trucks?

Ha, just saw that this is 3 years old... sryy!

·
20 Posts
My father had an old Reding utility body that he had mounted to 5 different trucks, each time the body was repainted & fixed if needed; I'd say 46 years out of a service body is a pretty good service life. Adam BLack & Sons in Northern NJ would be proud.

·
26 tires rolling
929 Posts
wrecker guys are a paranoid breed. Often times they will re-body or they will sell them across country. Out here on the west coast i know several towers that have well over 500K on several wrecker bodys. when they get re-mounted they get all new hoses, wiring, bushings and pins, sand blast and paint.

some will send their trucks FAR away so competitors cant use them to cut rates. Also used rollbacks are very fast movers in south america.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts