The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, so just recently i went out and started my truck and noticed on startup that it was a bit rough and the check engine light came on, i turned the truck off after about a minute or so and fired it back up, truck ran fine and no light, the next day it did the same exact thing, so i let the truck idle with the light and after about a minute the light went out and the RPMs jumped a tad then came right back down, truck only seems to do it when it hasnt run for about 5 or 6 hours, ive checked the gas caps to make sure everythings tight and it is, any ideas what could be setting it off? i figured something fuel pressure related, thanks!, Nick, white 97 OBS

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
If the CEL comes on, there should be codes. You need to figure out what codes are associated with the CEL being on first.

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive tried to scan it but it wouldnt read, the light would go out before the scanner could read it and wouldnt give me anything

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
Dave an OP,
1994.5-2003 7.3Ls use SAE/PWM OBD-II
2003.5-2015 6.0/6.4/6.7 use CAN Protocol OBD-II

My E99 is a bugger to get codes out of even with a professional grade scan tool, the engine had to be running, and scanning causes the engine to stall, the trick is to leave the key on, and the codes are there. Your '97 is the same computer architecture as my E99, give it another try, hitting scan as soon as the truck starts, and let it run with the light on while scanning. If it continues to fail to read codes, try and get access to an aftermarket programmer like the SCT XCalibrator 2/XCalibrator SF/X3/SF3, which do much better reading codes on these trucks for some reason.

Final suggestion is if you have a chip, turn the key off and remove the key, then remove the chip, then try starting the truck and scanning codes, sometimes a chip will prevent a scan, happens on a friends 7.3, no matter the scan tool/programmer used, and if we pull the chip it scans just fine and shows codes.

Reactions: dbennett48

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, my girlfriends father scanned it and i couldn't even really make out what kind of scanner it was so that definitely might be it, my friends got a shop down the street and definitely has a decent scanner so ill give that a shot! thanks guys ill let you know whats going on when i find out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts