The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the cluster (or tried, need a tip for getting the speedo cable on and off..) on my 91' F250 and saw that there are two engine lights, one yellow "check engine" and one red "engine". The yellow one has never been illuminated, even at start up, what's the yellow one for? and should it come on when key is on engine off?

·
1,700 Posts
The yellow light is for the gassers, the base cluster was the same for both gas and diesel.

Its been awhile since I removed one of these clusters but if I can remember right you can pull the bolts and slide the cluster out enough to reach in there and disconnect the cable. If thats not it you can reach up behind the cluster from above the steering column to get to the cable.

What you are looking for is the white plastic collar on the speedo cable at the end of the cable where it meets the speedo head. If you can see it or feel for it you need to find the "flat" on the white collar. This flat works sort of like a button by releasing a lock tab, you push this flat down and then pull the cable out of the speedometer assy. Sometimes it can be a little tricky and tight to access but thats how you do it.

·
TDG MAFIA
730 Posts
Ford did this with a lot of items on our trucks, making a different part for every different type of vehicle would cost a lot in tooling, so some parts are you could say "Universal" Just like the wiring harnesses on our trucks you have some plugs that go to nothing? Its because there "universal." The Dash Cluster being the same.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts