The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a forum that's as good as this one ,but on gas chevy/gmc trucks and vans? I'm looking for engine info on a 2004 chevy express 3500 and a gmc dually 3500 truck. Specifically are the engines the same?
Anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it tremendously.

pbr333

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
do you know which engines are in each? is the dually the 6.0L or the 8.1L. is the van the 5.3L or the 6.0L? they do us similar engines, with some differences in power and some parts for fitment in the tight van engine bay.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
interchangability

yea, the van is a 2004 express 3500 6.0gas and the possible donor truck is a 2000 sierra 3500 dually 5.7gas.
I'm going to do a leakdown test on the right bank and inspect the left side for damage from the pieces of valve that were chewed up. If possible I'd like to just do a valve job and put it back in service, but it has a lot of miles 350000 i think.
On the other hand the engine swap is more than I really wanted to do. I guess they would both have truck style accessories . but what if any is different from van to truck and the 4 year spread in years. I appreciate any info you got.

pbr333

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
I would say see how bad the cylinder looks, if its not bad then spend the money to fix it and some new heads. If its fubar then think about finding a wrecked van with the 6.0L or just the motor and doing an engine swap. as for finding a forum, google it.

·
496 Cubic Inches
245 Posts
Lots of difference between old style Vortec engines and newer LS style engines. For one would be computers are totally different. I would try to use an LS style back in it. Any 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L will work for the 6.0L your taking out. Hell 5.3L's around here go all day for $300-$600 depending on mileage. Get on Car-Parts.com and find one. 6.0L are overpriced most times as they are most sought after in F Body and swap worlds.

FYI - 1999 trucks had first 5.3L,6.0L and 4.8L style engines. 1998 was first year for LS1 in F Bodies. 2001 first year for the 8.1L but thats not an LS engine. Stay away from the displacement on demand ones unless you delete all that crap. Not a fan of the LS1 aluminum blocks or any aluminum block for that matter either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts