The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Cant see the pic. I run a 9'6" fisher EZ V and drop less than 1.5" with the blade raised with PROPER BALLAST and a set of timbrens up front. Carys the blade like a champ.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I honestly couldnt tell a difference unloaded between timbrens and not. I have 3/4" crank over factory hight but I did that for looks when I bought my truck. IMO no need to buy new keys when you can crank the stockers or just put some greens in there. Like I said. PROPER BALLAST and I run a 9.5' fisher v blade at around 1k with the edges and deflector flap and the truck rides like a champ. I havent gotten a chance to run with the ranchos instead of the crappy factory shocks but I'm betteing it will be better. No pogoing or wierd ride, handles great really. If your running a blade RUN PROPER BALLAST!!!!! Not meaning to flame anyone or start anything but ballast is a big deal.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
I never liked the way my GMC 4x4 3500 handled a plow compared to the same era Fords I owned. The front end was so squashed down it was ridiculous.

Some guys liked there's though. Guess it's hit & miss. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
we got a 92 GMC 1500 Z71 and it squats so much in the front with the 7 1/2' fisher in it

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
we got a 92 GMC 1500 Z71 and it squats so much in the front with the 7 1/2' fisher in it

·
Registered
95 Posts
My truck drops a little over and inch with the plow up, Blizzard 810 with a U edge so it's heavy. I run Timbrens and the t bars are up some.
The Timbrens are set up to be touching on the front axles, Ford and Dodge included.
Ballast is important on any truck. Not only do you have the front sag a little but the rear will rise as well with an empty bed. A dump or a sander in the back solves this.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
I used to plow with my Fords bed-empty all the time with no problems along with a
8'-6 or 9' Pro Plow. I ran a sander in the dump because it held so much more.

·
398 Posts
Ballast may keep the truck level when the plow is raised, but causing the rearend to be lower so it looks like the front's not dropping as much isn't really a solution to the problem, it's camouflage. A friend has an 86 K30 dump w/10' Fisher plow with the curved blade top (don't know what it's called) and brackets that he hangs about 400lb of steel (ballast plates from electric forklifts) from to keep the blade down when back-dragging, and THAT only causes the front end to sag about 2" when he raises the blade.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
That's also a solid front axle truck, like Ford still has, not an IFS truck.

I think the topic really centers on IFS GM trucks and plowing.

·
398 Posts
Oh, I know that, I was just saying that ballast in the bed may make a truck look like the plow's not dropping the front end as much as it really is.

·
Registered
447 Posts
No, its called physics. Puting weight behind the rear axel takes weight off the front end. Yes it makes the back go down but it does raises the front and take weight off the front axel.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ballast is just enough to offset the weight some not a overload.
I can put 4-5 hundred lbs in the back and the truck does not drop down. But raise the plow with the bed empty and the rear will raise when the plow lifts up.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I wouldn't be crankin' on those tortion bars too much. My dad designs suspensions and build them for GM, Ford, Toyota. He said that it will put too much stress on the bar and throw the front geometry out of wack. I see alot of Z71's doing it around here. But i don't like the front end high look, i'd rathr it level.

I'm not saying don't do it. Just be careful and don't go crazy on it. A little crank won't hurt anything.

Later

DT

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks man. It's great to be here!!!!!!!!!!!

DT

·