The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this site,and rather ignorant as to the different power choices available.What is the difference in a chip and a program.I thought they were the same.When the term 4 ,or 6 ,or now 16 position chip is mentioned,what are they referring to?? I want to add some power for towing,primarily a fifth wheel,but still want as good fuel mileage as can be had.I will add turbo back exhaust new gauges and whatever chip to tow with.Probably Tymar intake as well.Any help I can get will be appreciated.

·
Super limo owner
1,122 Posts
I would go a chip from dp tuners 4 and 6 pos is you can have 50,80,100,140hp settings and change them on the fly. as for the 16 pos chip its new and not sure if its out yet. look for seeya on the boards she can answer questions about that

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
programmer you have to stop shut down and spend about 2 minutes loading programs.If you aren't into swapping around power outputs you would be fine with this route.It is a little cheaper.

A chip you can change settings on the fly.Have whatever programs you want installed in each bank.

Either way you go you will be happy

·
Registered
11 Posts
6 position TS performance chip is the all time leader in performance and reliability. The positions are stock, high idle, 50, 75, 100, and 140+. I have several customers with these that tow and run their chip on 50 and still get 18 mpg. PM me if you're interested in getting some prices on intake, chip and an exhaust.

·
6,337 Posts
farmboydiesel said:
6 position TS performance chip is the all time leader in performance and reliability. The positions are stock, high idle, 50, 75, 100, and 140+. I have several customers with these that tow and run their chip on 50 and still get 18 mpg. PM me if you're interested in getting some prices on intake, chip and an exhaust.

I wouldnt go that far... They do market the chips that everyone uses, but there are lots of tunners out there, DI, DP, ATS, Tony, the list goes on and on... I dont think TS has messed with there stuff in a few years for the 7.3....

BTW...are you a vendor???:poke:

I tow on my 100hp setting and still get 18mpg... but with Tadds burns...:woot:

·
Registered
251 Posts
farmboydiesel said:
6 position TS performance chip is the all time leader in performance and reliability.
This statement is incorrect.

Please do not confuse a new person/owner with your agenda.

·
Git-R-Done
888 Posts
A chip is the only was to go and there is only one chip Tunner out there that I recommend and that is Tony Wildman.

As fare as I am concerned you will not find any better programs out there for the 7.3 PSD than Tony's.

You will also not find a nicer guy to deal with than Tony as he is a class act stand up guy that takes very good care of his cutomers.

Shoot Tony an email or give him a call and he will take good care of you.

www.totaldieselperformance.com

Later,
Darrell

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dirtmack,

There is really no differance between them from the trucks prespective. A program is meerly software to alter the behavior of sertian parts due to imput. A chip is a divice that store that information. A program is uploaded and burned onto your ECU where a chip is a divice that plugs into your ECU with spcific pregramming. This allows for you to adjust the programming on the fly wihtout an ECU re-flash. The Chips have become very popular becasue as stated in the replay above you can switch programing on the fly.

·
Registered
251 Posts
mad_matt said:
Dirtmack,

There is really no differance between them from the trucks prespective. A program is meerly software to alter the behavior of sertian parts due to imput. A chip is a divice that store that information. A program is uploaded and burned onto your ECU where a chip is a divice that plugs into your ECU with spcific pregramming. This allows for you to adjust the programming on the fly wihtout an ECU re-flash. The Chips have become very popular becasue as stated in the replay above you can switch programing on the fly.
There is no difference to the truck in the way that is sees the programs, true, but there is a major difference in the two.

The programmers are basically cookie cutter tunes, one size fits all, however with a custom tuned chip you can get a whole plethora of changes made to fit your truck and the way you want it to drive.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Programmers are not all cookie cutter programmers any longer. SCT has been out for a good while now with the Xcal2 Custom programmable unit. However it is not switch on the fly and that is what most guys who own the 7.3l prefer over anything. It is gong to boil down to what fits your needs the best.

The new F5 chip is not the same unit as the current chips and are made by a differnet chip manufacture.They will be available in the next 2-3 weeks. We will make an announcement on TDG and our website when they are here.

Stay Tuned!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
dirtmack said:
I am new to this site,and rather ignorant as to the different power choices available.What is the difference in a chip and a program.I thought they were the same.When the term 4 ,or 6 ,or now 16 position chip is mentioned,what are they referring to?? I want to add some power for towing,primarily a fifth wheel,but still want as good fuel mileage as can be had.I will add turbo back exhaust new gauges and whatever chip to tow with.Probably Tymar intake as well.Any help I can get will be appreciated.
I just became a member and will have lots of questions. The first being what is a Tymar intake? Second; what are the benefits?

:thanks: DD

·
Super limo owner
1,122 Posts
Tymar intake is an open air filter normaly from napa with a piece of 4in pipe to connect it (home made). It give you more air!

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi im new too. 1997 7.3 auto extended cab. mbrp 3" down pipe and 4 back. looking to chip or program. any suggestions. have heard of trans problems with some tuners. intake suggestions also? thanks for any help

·
4,024 Posts
Welcome Stroker!! I recomend a chip... easy to adjust on the fly and no extra stuff to tote in the truck. I'll also recomend dptuner for that chip. Great folks to work with !

For the intake, I've just done a homemade Tymar but you have lots of options depending on what you want to spend.

Good luck!! :Thumbup:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Diesel Dog said:
Welcome Stroker!! I recomend a chip... easy to adjust on the fly and no extra stuff to tote in the truck. I'll also recomend dptuner for that chip. Great folks to work with !

:agreed: :agreed: They are great folks to deal with!! Good luck.

·
idunnoyet
231 Posts
i am wanting to go with a 4 or 6 pos. chip but i what if i change my tire size? with a tuner i chould change that right? What would i do in case of the chip?

·
517 Posts
hi im new too. 1997 7.3 auto extended cab. mbrp 3" down pipe and 4 back. looking to chip or program. any suggestions. have heard of trans problems with some tuners. intake suggestions also? thanks for any help
Well,, the trans is a flip of the coin anyway you add power. It may not hold up..chip or tuner.

Some of the tuners may let you change tire size, I know SCMT didnt, or the model I had didnt anyway. That would be the least of my worries really. No problem with seeing that ,,ok, larger tires. You go by those radar sign things in construction sights telling you what your speed currently is probably. Note the speed of your truck, and compare it to the speedo...:shrug:
As mentioned above, it is a matter of convienence. I had a tuner for three years,, left it on the 80 mode ALL THE TIME... never towed heavy with it, but towed my boat, (Maybe 5k lbs) Now that I have the chip.. I tow heavier, and also tend to "Change the settings more often,," Like to smoke the ricer next to me if he is reving his "Fart can" muffler!!!!:woot:

·
Dieselis' Maximus
1,744 Posts
I got my DP Chip back a few months ago, Best thing i ever did. If you looking for what chip to buy do a search on here and other sites. I did this i found for the 7.3 the 3 main were DP TS and DI. Order of popularity and recomendation was in that same order. At least that was a few months ago when i was looking anyway.

·
Dieselis' Maximus
1,744 Posts
I got my DP Chip back a few months ago, Best thing i ever did. If you looking for what chip to buy do a search on here and other sites. I did this i found for the 7.3 the 3 main were DP TS and DI. Order of popularity and recomendation was in that same order. At least that was a few months ago when i was looking anyway.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts